cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1603 in startup script to install Mcafee Agent 4.8

Jump to solution

Hello everyone, or anyone!

I'm trying to install Mcafee Agent 4.8 with a startup script in the local GPO, on WIndows 2008 R2. It'll be used for new builds. I'm using a little powershell script, below.

It runs ok if I log on as an administrator and run it manually. It also runs ok if I use a scheduled task running as System, whether the scheduled task is set to run at startup or at a time of day. But if I run it as a startup script in the local GPO it fails with error 1603. In FrmInst_<computername>.log I get this text:

2014-02-26 11:25:12.000          I          #2288          Stub          Pkg          START ["C:\Tools\mcafee\FramePkg.exe" /install=agent /ForceInstall /silent ]

2014-02-26 11:25:12.000          I          #2288          Common        Pkg          CreateDirectory (C:)

2014-02-26 11:25:12.031          E          #2288          Common        Pkg           error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

2014-02-26 11:25:12.031          I          #2288          Stub          Pkg          END 1603

Does anyone know how I can get it working please? I'll also raise a ticket with Mcafee and put the answer here. And if anyone wonders why I need a startup script, the only other methods I know of are:

- GPO plus software installation (the msi file), can't use that because we've got lots of computers where the agent has been pushed out by ePO, and at every reboot the GPO tries to install the msi over the top. It fails, but it's too messy

- Scheduled Import from AD then push the agent, can't use that because we can't leave the computer unprotected for hours until the next import and push.

The powershell script (well, a simplified version that I'm testing with) is:

function Install-Mcafee {

try {

$process = Start-Process C:\Tools\mcafee\FramePkg.exe -ArgumentList @('/install=agent','/ForceInstall','/silent') -WindowStyle Hidden -passthru -wait

} catch {

$RunError = $error[0]

Write-AppEventLog -EventType Error -MessageText "ERROR: failed to start framepkg.exe, the error message was $($RunError.Exception)."

}

if ($process.exitcode -eq 0) {

Write-AppEventLog -EventType Information -MessageText "framepkg.exe was run with the expected return code $ExpectedReturnCode."

} else {

Write-AppEventLog -EventType Error -MessageText "ERROR: framepkg.exe was run with unexpected return code $($process.exitcode), expected 0."

}

}

Message was edited by: aberdeenangus on 2/26/14 6:49:11 AM CST
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
djjava9
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 10

Re: Error 1603 in startup script to install Mcafee Agent 4.8

Jump to solution

Joe Bidgood is probably smarter than me 🙂 but he is technically correct.....you dont have to officially stop the service but its better if you do......because the guid is generated as soon as the framework service restarts......if its greyed out then all you have to do is disable access protection as shown in that link you sent http://www.bonusbits.com/main/HowTo:Prepare_McAfee_EPO_Agent_for_a_System_Template_or_Image  then stop the service then shut down.

9 Replies
Tristan
Level 15
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

I would guess this is a privileges issue

The agent needs administrator privileges to install and the GPO script is running it with the logged in user privileges and therefore failing.

One way to test this is to make a user a local administrator (i.e. added to the administrators group on the pc) and see if it works.

I have no PowerShell experience but i would have thought it's possible to do the equivelent of a 'runas' command the only issue to get around is make sure any admin level passwords are hidden.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Tristan's correct here - the install needs local admin rights.

Another option for you might be the GPO option, as described in KB67796 .

HTH -

Joe

Jump to solution

Thanks for your replies Joe and Tristan. A GPO can be local, ie created on a computer, or it can be created on a domain. Either GPO can run startup scripts, and I think only the domain one can install MSIs.

I was trying to use a local GPO + startup script to run framepkg.exe. The startup script is on our Windows templates, it configures Windows when a new server is deployed from the template. I wanted it to install the agent as well, but this is when I get the error 1603.

But the odd thing is that a domain GPO + startup script runs framepkg.exe completely ok. Both GPOs run under the local System account, I never found out why one worked and the other didn't.

So I went for a domain GPO + startup script which runs a little powershell script, the script checks if the agent is installed and runs framepkg.exe if not.

I can't use the GPO + MFEagent.msi method. We have a few hundred servers where the agent has been manually pushed out from within ePO, and the GPO can't see that the agent is already installed and keeps trying to install its MSI over the existing agent. I think the GPO + MFEagent.msi approach is only useful in new environments where it's the first and only method used.

I did open a ticket with Mcafee, they didn't add much to what Tristan and Joe said. They did say one thing though, I asked if it was supported to put the agent on our templates with the reg values for the guid deleted. I've read that the agent creates a new guid next time it starts and that this can be a way of putting the agent on templates or images. The Mcafee person said this method isn't supported, which surprised me a bit, it seems to be talked about a lot on forums. He did sound as if he was in a hurry to get the ticket closed, I'd be interested to hear if anyone reads this and knows otherwise.

djjava9
Level 11
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

installing the agent as part of your image is 100% supported and highly recommended to make sure the agent gets on there in the first place.  Page 41 below.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/24000/PD24333/en_US/...

Jump to solution

OK thanks for that djjava. I've read part of the product guide. Could you advise the steps after installing the agent on the template, before shutting it down please?

Joe Bidgood says that it's sufficient to delete the reg value called AgentGUID in this discussion:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/198418.

But these 2 urls say that the McAfee Framework Service has to be stopped as well. That's a problem for us because the option in Windows to stop this service is greyed out, which is an ePO option I think.

http://www.bonusbits.com/main/HowTo:Prepare_McAfee_EPO_Agent_for_a_System_Template_or_Image

https://community.mcafee.com/message/284111

Thanks again.

djjava9
Level 11
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Joe Bidgood is probably smarter than me 🙂 but he is technically correct.....you dont have to officially stop the service but its better if you do......because the guid is generated as soon as the framework service restarts......if its greyed out then all you have to do is disable access protection as shown in that link you sent http://www.bonusbits.com/main/HowTo:Prepare_McAfee_EPO_Agent_for_a_System_Template_or_Image  then stop the service then shut down.

Jump to solution

Sorry one last question about our template, as soon as the agent is installed it'll install VirusScan Enterprise 8.8. Can I leave that on the template too, or does that also have some kind of guid or similar thing to worry about duplicating?

I'm thinking about first testing deleting the AgentGUID reg value immediately before shutting the template down, so hopefully I won't need to do those steps with the framework service, that the next time this service starts will be after the template has been deployed to a new computer.

Thanks again.

djjava9
Level 11
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

virusscan has no guid, so you can install that as part of any image.  its only the agent that has a guid

Jump to solution

OK, thanks again

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community