Did you mean: 
ghtr
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

Epolicy 5.3.3 requirements

Jump to solution

Hello,

Can somebody please provide the requiments (server/sql) for epolicy 5.3.3, or provide a link to this infomation.

I need to understand if 5.3.3 can be installed on server 2016 and cant find any documentation for 5.3.3 on the McAfee site.

many thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 13

Re: Epolicy 5.3.3 requirements

Jump to solution

Yes, support for Windows 2016 and sql 2016 were introduced with 5.3.3.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

12 Replies
cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

Yes, support for Windows 2016 and sql 2016 were introduced with 5.3.3.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
jmcg Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution
For my personal curiosity, why do you want to install 5.3.3 instead of 5.9 or 5.10 ?
ghtr
Level 9
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

We currently have 5.3.3 installed on server 2008 r2

The plan was to upgrade this to 5.10, then migrate to a new 2016 server using the snapshot recovery feature. However, the upgrade to 5.10 is failing.

I am now instead, migrating straight to 5.3.3 on the 2016 server using the snapshot recovery feature. I will then attempt an upgrade to 5.10 on the new 2016 server.

thanks

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

Be sure to run iiscrypto on the new epo server and sql, choose best practices and reboot to ensure the tls protocols and ciphers are enabled for what epo needs.  Be sure also that your version of sql supports tls 1.2, as many versions need a hotfix to be able to support that.

Was my reply helpful?

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution
If you are going to a new server, just install a fresh ePO 5.10 on the new server and then, migrate every settings from ePO 5.3 to 5.10

After, you will just need to add ePO 5.10 in the 5.3 so you can transfer all your agent to the new server.

This HMO, is the best practise to upgrade it.
ghtr
Level 9
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

Do you mean migrate with the snapshot recovery feature or create a new instance of 5.10 (with a new database)? If you mean to use the snapshot recovery feature, I was under the impression you could only perform a restore to the same EPO server version. 5.3.3 to 5.3.3 for example.

I also assumed the snapshot recovery feature transfers the agents for you?

Is there a mcafee article explaining your suggested method?

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

Snapshot recovery is only for same version to same version.  Your easiest option, especially if your servername and IP are changing is to follow these steps.

1.  Restore your 5.3.3 server to the 2016 server with snapshot recovery and go ahead and upgrade it.

2.  With your old server still running, after the new server is set up, go to menu, agent handlers and edit the epo server to add published dns and IP for the new server to point your clients to it.

3.  You also might want to set up a dns alias to point to the new IP.  

This ensures all your same policies, etc are still in place just like the old server and easiest to redirect your clients to the new server without having to reinstall agents.

Was my reply helpful?

ghtr
Level 9
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks cdinet

This is my intended method

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

@ghtr

Well forget about "snapshot recovery feature" for any update, you do not need that.
Here the TODO list.

- Keep your 5.3 where is it.
- Create a new server (Windows 2016) and update it with Microsoft Update.
- Install ePO 5.10 on this new server
- Export every settings from 5.3.3 and also the communication key for the McAfee Agent
- Import every settings inside the ePO 5.10
- Add the ePO 5.10 server inside registered server in 5.3.3
- You are now ready to migrate any agent to the new ePO server using the "transfer function"

I'm not sure if there is a KB for this method.

PS: be sure to check every port for communication, you may need to add some rules in FW.

Also, this a 1 to 2 days work to do.

And also also, this method keep your old infra until you migrate, so you can go back easily if there is a issue

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community