cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epo Server stops processing tasts until services restarted

We have had an issue with our EPO Server whereby after being up for a couple of weeks it stops running tasks. There is no error or notification of problems. It was only noticed when regular reports generated by EPO stopped being received. If you log onto the server everything seems to be functioning execpt the Tasks. A reboot fixes the issue. If you look at the support centre tab the hourly system check also stop running so there is no obvious failure identified. The main issue with this is that all of our systems started to go out of date as the update master repository task was not running and any automated response aleets had stopped processing so we were unaware of any infections. We are running EPO 5.10 update 4. Has anybody else seen this or have any suggestions before I log a support call. ?? Thanks
6 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Epo Server stops processing tasts until services restarted

Check kb84114 to see if it applies. This can occur for several reasons. When you run the query to check for the dbcleanup task, if it shows existing, make sure the runtime and enqueued time are updating every minute. Does the server log show any datachannel communication failures? Does the orion log show any issues?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Thanks for the reply , I have checked and the dbcleanup job is running fine..  However the Orion log does show that DB connectivity was lost at the point of failure. I have checked and the DB (remote cluster) was failed over for patching at that time, so the DB would have been potentially unavalible for a few minutes during SQL failover.  The orion log showed

2019-07-28 01:59:07,656 INFO [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-106] command.SnapshotServerCmd - SnapshotServerCmd:: invoked: start
2019-07-28 01:59:07,664 INFO [scheduler-TaskQueueEngine-thread-106] command.SnapshotServerCmd - Starting to save server snapshot to the database...
2019-07-28 02:06:05,413 ERROR [scheduler-InternalTask-thread-4] dispatcher.ThreatNotification - Error processing notification. Operation aborted.
java.sql.SQLException: Database 99 cannot be autostarted during server shutdown or startup.

After lots of java errors it settles down a few minutes later  , but then all we get for 3 days until the server is restarted are entries like

2019-07-28 02:38:49,363 WARN [scheduler-InternalTask-thread-13] webshield.RemoteCommand - URL=https://127.0.0.1:3128/plugin?target=ePOPlugin&cmd=list

When this failover  (and momentary database loss) occured on our 5.3.3 system, EPO recovered when the database was back online.  I wonder if 5.10 deals with this differently and is not liking the way the failover happens ? 

Any thourght's would be appreciated.

Thanks

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

" After lots of java errors it settles down a few minutes later , but then all we get for 3 days until the server is restarted are entries like 2019-07-28 02:38:49,363 WARN [scheduler-InternalTask-thread-13] webshield.RemoteCommand - URL=https://127.0.0.1:3128/plugin?target=ePOPlugin&cmd=list" This isn't a connection to database failure, but a connection to a webshield appliance or plugin. Was epo otherwise operational?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Yes, I had logged in a couple of times and it appearded to be functioning fine, Hence not noticing the tasks had stopped.. The Server log is only 10k and has only 1 days worth of entries so I cannot see back to when the problem occured. I wonder if anybody else with their SQL Database on a cluster has noticed this ?  I guess I will need to monitor this when the database fails over again and get the logs extracted..

If you have any other ideas, please let me know

Thanks

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

I would suggest opening a ticket with McAfee so we can look at the logs in detail and try to help figure out what is happening. We would want to know if you notice any tasks running or stuck running at the time, or anything else unusual.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks for your assistance, I will log a support call, I am testing several variations to ensure It is recreatable and I have as much data as possible.  Cheers

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community