cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Endpoint lost connectivity with ePO portal

Hi, I found my Endpoint Client Agent always lost connectivity with ePO portal due to IP address changes. I can confirm the computer name and MAC address are the same but IP address changed only due to company business model and quite a lot of users travelling in business.

Sometime IP address changed will duplicate 2 same computer name popup on System Tree which causing management issue. Also lost of Agent connectivity means cannot manage everything. Sometime the computer will connect back to ePO portal if push Agent installation once. However over 90% will be failed.

Any suggestion or alternative can avoid this issue.

Agent version available in my environment : 5.5.1.388 / 5.5.1.342

Many thanks.

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Endpoint lost connectivity with ePO portal

What specific IP addresses are changing?  Client IP addresses change all the time due to dhcp assignments, which do not disrupt epo communication.  Are these systems connecting via vpn?  If so, check kb52949 to ensure their properties aren't being overwritten.  If the epo server IP address changes, that can be a problem, but the clients use IP, NetBIOS and fqdn of epo server or agent handler to connect.  So if one fails, they try the other.  So even if server name stays the same and IP address changes on epo server, that still should not disrupt communication.  To really find root cause, you need to look at the agent logs for the specific error (c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs - masvc log) and match it with the time frame in server log of epo server or agent handler that it is trying to communicate with.  There are many reasons for failures.  Just a simple IP address change should not be a problem.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hi CDINET,

Thanks for your comments. This is referring to client IP address which assigned by DHCP. These systems are not connecting via VPN but private WAN connection to ePO server. 

This is not happen to all endpoint computers but some. Those are general Windows 10 OS and working on in daily basic. I still see the online and communicate but next day they will lost connectivity with ePO.

Check from the log mentioned on those problem endpoint computer which found below. Are these log related to this problem or else. 

masvc(4948.5728) scheduler service.Critical: scheduler get task request failed, last error(1101)
masvc(4948.5728) scheduler service.Critical: scheduler get task request failed, last error(1101)
masvc(4948.5728) scheduler service.Critical: scheduler delete task failed, last error(1101)
masvc(4948.5728) scheduler service.Critical: scheduler delete task failed, last error(1101)

Thanks.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

No, those errors are not relevant.  You would search for section where the agent begins asci and you will see it connecting to an IP address or host name of the epo server or agent handler that it is talking to.  Follow that connection and whether it is successful or failed.  You would need to know basic time frames that it is failing to communicate. 

Then, on the server side, you would look at the server_servername.log for same time frame and look for any communication attempts.  There are 2 basic types of failures, but different causes.

1.  Client can't reach server at all for any reason - there would be no corresponding entry in the server log.

2.  Client reaches epo server, but either server has issues, is busy, or agent passes some kind of invalid data for some reason and communication is rejected.  There would be a corresponding entry in the server log.  Do the same systems fail to communicate, or random different ones?  IP address changes on the client by dhcp has no affect on whether the agent can communicate or not, as long as the client's network is available.  The agent doesn't care what IP the system has, it just gathers that info and sends it to epo with its properties.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community