cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPO4 & 8.5i deployment

hi there,

I've just installed version 4 of the orchestrator (on Windows 2003 R2) to try and better manage our Mcafee enterprise environment.

Most of our workstations currently run 7.1 of the Enterprise Virusscan. New installations (about 12) now have 8.5i patch 1 (All Running XP SP2)

I've been trolling around for 3 days now and seem no nearer finding any decent documentation for EPO 4 and it capabilities. Most searches seem to returm 3.6 results.

I've managed to deploy the agent to machines via EPO but seem to be un-able to do anything else.

I need to know if it's possible and how to...

deploy 8.5i with patch 5 to all existing machines. (I've imported the install for 8.5i and patch 5 into the repository), but can't see any tasks to deploy or update clients with these.

If it can't be done via EPO 4, can it be done via login script or Group Policy deployment, what are the command line switches and can patch 5 be streamlined into the installation?

force clients to check-in and update more than once a day.

We have approximately 120 workstation, of which at least 60% are on remote sites connection via ADSL broadband VPN WAN links.

any advice, how-to's would be most appreciated.
26 Replies
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 27

RE: EPO4 & 8.5i deployment

I would advise you to read the manual before attempting to run EPO 4.0 on a live environment.

EPO 4.0 documentation:
https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/browse.do?WidgetName=BROWSE_PRODUCT&IsRootNode=true&TaxoNam...

EPO 4.0 master list of support articles:
https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=613547&sliceI...

EPO 4.0 product tutorials on how to complete common tasks:
https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/dynamickc.do?sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forward=nonthr...

As for your questions:

*Create a deployment task to deploy VSE patch 5 from the repository
(apply this to your workstations on a schedule you choose)

*Create update tasks to update DATs/ engines and patch updates
(apply these to your workstations aswell)

*If you checked in VSE 8.5 with patch 5 then patch 5 will go out with it, you can also download and checkin the patch 5 seperate and this will go out to machines that do not have patch 5 already according to your update tasks.

*Set wake up tasks for mcafee agents to get them to send back full properties to the server

*Set update and policy enforcement intervals for the agents for them to check for poicy changes and enforce policies locally

all these things are basic bread and butter EPO admin, and will become obvious if you read the manual

tony,

thanks for the quick reply,

the problem is I've been through the documentation and it's rather lite to say the least and none of the KB articles listed there cover what I need to do (as I said I sent the last 3 days going through these) and don't intend on waisting another day trolling through all of them for what should be a simple task (my previous dealings have been Trend Micro and their deployment mechanism, documentation and central management are top notch, so it's a bit of shock trying to deal with Mcafees attempts to achieve the same).

*Create a deployment task to deploy VSE patch 5 from the repository
(apply this to your workstations on a schedule you choose)

Just how do i do this? I've cannot see any task available to me for any sort of deployment tasks in EPO 4, nor have I found a 'how to' on how this is achieved.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 4 of 27

I dont know which documentaion you have been looking at but it doesnt sound like the same stuff I have linked to. The manuals are pretty easy to follow assuming you have an EPO setup to play with.step by step instructions for common tasks are in the tutorials I linked to.

Creating a deployment task for software like VSE is part 2 of this tutorial:
https://knowledge.mcafee.com/solution/mcafee/tutorials/epo/ePO4_jg_613872.htm

Followed the steps in section 2,

I select a target workstation, Select Client tasks.

But there is no task listed there (there is one in the walk thro)

I click new task and it takes me to a completely blank page. :mad:
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 6 of 27

The best way to use tasks is to create them at the top level of the organisation in the tasks area and then alter the inheritance to apply tasks to groups and machines. Creating them at an individual level is just going to make your administrative procedures more difficult.

If you go to the systems GUI and choose "my organisation" then click on the client tasks you will see the tasks that are already created by default, these can then be altered and new ones created.
As you are not familiar with EPO Keep new tasks set to disabled in general until you are sure that you have tested them and they are doing what you want.
ArgonX
Level 7
Message 7 of 27

Btw, sorry for trouble but is there any more tutorial or instructions on ePO except those on mcafee url?
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 8 of 27

I cant think of much that isnt contained within either the knowledgebase itself https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/supportcentral/supportcentral.do?id=m1 or from the usefull links section in top right.

Documentation
FAQ
Tutorials

What can you not find?
ArgonX
Level 7
Message 9 of 27

Well mostly adding new policy.

1. I had add policy for servers and some of them are with vse 8.0 and some are 8.5. Now, i am newby in this and i never had chance to play with ePO. Is this correct to edit policy / settings for both or use 1 for both(i think is not possible but i had to ask)

I install epo on vpn test server to see how it works and so on. i did upgrade it and link few test servers and few pc to test it. So sorry if i ask some stupid question. Smiley Sad

2. email server settings. i have problem here for some reason. i add all informations and then at the end i have to add email adress. and whatever i do type it says: INVALID ?

tonyb99
Level 13
Message 10 of 27

I am assuming you are using epo 4.0

You would need at least 2 policies
One to apply to vse 8.0 and one to apply to vse 8.5

Technically you only need 1 policy for workstations and servers, you just choose to save the policy before switching between the workstation or server option.
That being said I usually divide these up between the 2 as I find this easier to manage, and easier to give meaningfull names to policies.