cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPO upgrade from 5.3.3 to 5.10 Experience and Updater 2 problems

Hello, I recently upgraded a customer from EPO 5.3.3 to 5.10.

I will note some problems and workarounds plus I have a post upgrade problem:

There is a lot of prep work you have to do.

A very good starting point is the "McAfee SNS ProTip for ePolicy Orchestrator: ePO 5.10 upgrade and installation best practices" ...watch the video.

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=SNS1829

I previously had built and EPO 5.10 server new and did an upgrade from 5.9.

The video states McAfee recomends upgrading from 5.3.X to 5.10 and skipping 5.9..but I had some problems. 

Tips/Observations:

1 Most likely your going to have Extensions or other problems, EPO server disk               space ( 3X EPO folder plus 2 GB), SQL, TLS, Cipher... suprise if you are on SQL 2008     (not supported but recorded in KBs).

2 You can run the installation ahead of time and the Pre installation Auditory will give      you a list of problems 

3 After fixing problems we started the installation. we stopped 2 EPO server services     and restarted the main application service. 

4 The installation chugged away, during the install we monitored the log files (you            can use notepad ++ .. there is a setting to update files as they are write to. 

5 After 10 minutes of trying to stop the Tomcat service the install abort with a non         dicriptive error. We started again and after about 8 minutes, we termintated                 the Tomcat process and the installation continued to completion (4.5 hours).

Note: The Updater 2 does the same process but tells you with a Pop up .. couldn't       stop services... please do this manually.. hoping this is fixed in future builds

6 During our research there was a error in the log file saying TLS 1.1 or higher was          not enabled.. but it is.. read someware about this being false. 

Problems Post upgrade updater 2 will not apply.

We rebooted the server and tryed to apply the updater 2 but it failled.. log file errors were " not able to to copy files....."

The customer will be openning a support case with McAfee. Will advise if I find anything. 

Once you migrate from EPO 5.3 or lower to 5.10 you have to run a task to Migrate data to new tables https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90825 .. this should be done withing a few days... I could not find any information saying this has to be done first . .. then you apply updater 2.

If anyone has some advise, I would appreciate it..

Thanks

3 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: EPO upgrade from 5.3.3 to 5.10 Experience and Updater 2 problems

AFAIK, mitigating data and CU2 are two different things. They will not have any dependency. Migration task is hidden task and will run in backend.

While running CU2, make sure that you stop ePO services then run setup file.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

"Not able to copy files" - what was the specific error?  That often indicates something has a handle on a file or directory so files can't be overwritten.  Hopefully support can better assist since they can look at the whole log.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Thanks very much for your reply.... wanted to make sure the Migration was not connected.

Yes we did stop the services. 

I am not one site but still in communicated with the customer... so I don't have the details on the file copy errors... will advise when I know ... Thanks again.

ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.