Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kink80
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

EPO Server 4.6 and HIPS 7 Patch 8

Jump to solution

I was looking at KB69814 and saw that HIPS 7 Patch 8 is not on the list of supported products for EPO 4.6 Server. Has anyone tried to upgrade their EPO server from 4.5 to 4.6 while still having the HIPS 7 Patch 8 extensions and software checked in? It is a real pain in the neck to upgrade HIPS in my environment because when upgrading HIPS it tears down the network IP stack and machines are dropped form the network for ~20-30 seconds.  Thanks for your responses.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Re: EPO Server 4.6 and HIPS 7 Patch 8

Jump to solution

My apologies, you're correct - I had my versions mixed up. At least this means that there is a HIPs 7 extension for ePO 4.6, which means you can at least control Patch 9 installations.

What I don't know is what the differences beween Patch 8 and Patch 9 are - i.e. I can't tell you if controlling a Patch 8 installation from an ePO 4.6 server will work but is not supported, or if it will simply not work at all.

HTH -

Joe

6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi kink80, if you upgrade ePO 4.5 to 4.6 you'll still be able to deploy HIPS 7 but you won't be able to manage its policies nor tasks because HIPS 7 extension is not supported on this ePO version.

The problem is not that it's not officially supported by ePO 4.6 but it's that it can't be managed by it so you'll have to upgrade HIPS to 8.

McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

ulyses31 wrote:

Hi kink80, if you upgrade ePO 4.5 to 4.6 you'll still be able to deploy HIPS 7 but you won't be able to manage its policies nor tasks because HIPS 7 extension is not supported on this ePO version.

Sorry, but I just need to point out (for anyone thinking about this) that this is a very bad idea: it could leave you with an entire estate of machines with HIPs installed and no way of configuring it.

To the OP - I'm afraid this isn't possible: ePO 4.6 only supports HIPs 8 and later.

HTH -

Joe

Jump to solution

Of course, you're totally right JoeBidgood

I should have said that,even if it's possible to deploy it from ePO 4.6, no one should deploy a product that is not yet supported specially with critical products like HIPS

kink80
Level 12
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Joe - in the KB69814 it states that HIPS  7.0 +Ptach 9 and Extension 7.0.5.106 is supported is that the case or just HIPS 8.0. Thanks!

McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

My apologies, you're correct - I had my versions mixed up. At least this means that there is a HIPs 7 extension for ePO 4.6, which means you can at least control Patch 9 installations.

What I don't know is what the differences beween Patch 8 and Patch 9 are - i.e. I can't tell you if controlling a Patch 8 installation from an ePO 4.6 server will work but is not supported, or if it will simply not work at all.

HTH -

Joe

kink80
Level 12
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Joe - Thanks for the responses! This helps me map out my upgrade path for my clients.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community