cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

EPO MER installation problem

Jump to solution

I'm trying to get EPO MER (4.1) installed on a few clients in a virtual test environment. Unfortunately so far non of the installations has been successful. The systems receive the task, schedule them and activate. Afterwards the tasks are reported as completed... and scheduled to run again in few minutes (I did set the deployment task for repeat). No installation log is being created in the C:\Windows\Temp\McAfeeLogs Furthermore I was not able to find much more in the McAfee Agent logs so far, besides the info posted above. I am a little confused as to what is going on and where to continue to look for the cause of the problem. Can anyone provide advice on what steps to take in a situation like that to resolve the problem? Thank you in advance for any assistance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: EPO MER installation problem

Jump to solution

For anyone with similar problems - it has turned out that the product package checked in in the ePO was somehow corrupted. This has lead to the situation where apparently during the installation the package could not be downloaded correctly. Deleting the packed from the Master Repository and checking it in again has solved the problem.

12 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs is where to look first.

The masvc log will show it getting the task and invoking it.

The mcscript.log (or mcscript.deploy.log depending on agent version) will show the actual process of getting the files and handing off the install to the OS.  If you don't see that happening, then it isn't getting installed.  What version of the agent?  Some versions have some scheduling issues.  Also, if peer to peer is enabled, with some versions of the agent, that can cause updates to fail too, as it will just hang at the getting content phase. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Agent version is 5.6.0.878

peer to peer is not enabled

task is being invoked in the masvc

I find nothing about the installation in the mcscript though

what do I look for next?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

You need to get away from that version of the agent - it has an issue with flooding events.  Either open a ticket to get latest hotfix or downgrade it to the rtw version of 5.6 to start with using a forceinstall.  Does the masvc log show it getting the task and invoking it?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

I have reinstalled the agent but the installation behavior has not changed:

now I'm using Agent 5.6.0.702

the Agent is invoking the task but I'm lost on what it is doing next

"scheduler.Info: Scheduler: Invoking task [MER Deployment]...

scheduler.Info: The task MER Deployment becomes active"

afterwards you can read

"Updater.Info: Received updater request initiator_type=4 request_type=0 taskid=57."

is it right to assume that the taskid=57 is the MER deployment?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

You could probably safely assume that is the task it is referring to, but that is irrelevant.  As long as the masvc log shows the task invoked, then you need to go to the mcscript_deploy.log to see if it was able to get the files, etc.  You should see this in the log....

ScrptExe Running "msiexec.exe" /i "C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\\Current\SUPPCLNT1000\Install\0409\SupportabilityClient.msi" /qn RebootYesNo=No Reboot=ReallySuppress

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Found it 🙂

2019-04-24 23:32:00 I #4912 ScrptExe Executing section: [VerifyPkgCatalogFile]
2019-04-24 23:32:00 I #4912 Filer Copied file C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\\Current\SUPPCLNT1000\Install\0409\PkgCatalog.z to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\\Current\SUPPCLNT1000\Install\0409\cma416c
2019-04-24 23:32:00 I #4912 Filer Copied file C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\\Current\SUPPCLNT1000\Install\0409\cma416c to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\\Current\SUPPCLNT1000\Install\0409\PkgCatalog.z

2019-04-24 23:32:01 I #4912 ScrptExe Executing section: [InstallProduct]
2019-04-24 23:32:01 I #4912 ScrptMgr Update Finished
2019-04-24 23:32:01 I #4912 MueEep Invoking EndUpdateDialog withTitle " Update Finished" Message " Please check the update log for more details." CountdownMessage " Auto close in" CountdownValue" 10"
2019-04-24 23:32:01 I #4912 ScrptExe Executing section: [ReturnSuccess]

Do you have an idea what "Update Log" is meant here, where more details should be available?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

There may or may not be an actual update log, depends on what the install was programmed to log.  In the agent logs folder, check for any update log, otherwise you can also check the windows\temp\mcafeelogs for any update log.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

There are no new logs in windows\temp\mcafeelogs but I found similar path in my user folder

AppData\Local\Temp\McAfeeLogs

there area new updaterUI and McTray logs but I'm having trouble making any sense of there content

why would McAfee Agent create logs in that directory instead of windows\temp\mcafeelogs anyway?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Logs will be written in windows\temp\mcafeelogs or the user profile temp\mcafeelogs, depending on how the update or install was done - via epo (system - written to windows) or a user runs an update or an install locally (user profile)

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center