cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPO 5.3.1 reinstall, having issues

I went to upgrade my server to EPO 5.9, and I ran into some issues with the installation, and it got partway through, tried to start the new services, failed, and then reverted back. I tried a couple times, and it did the same thing. I then uninstalled the current version of 5.3.1, and went to reinstall 5.3.1. Every time now I get the same results. The install gets all the way to starting the new services, and then stops, and reverts the install. The database is on another SQL server, and it seems to connect fine to that. I believe from the errors, it is having issues starting the tomcat server. The EPO server is also running WSUS and tenable nessus server on it, but I hadn't had any issues prior, but perhaps that was because EPO was installed first.

8 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: EPO 5.3.1 reinstall, having issues

You have mismatched extensions.  Make sure you are restoring the correct database backup that matches what you had.  The DB is showing epo 5.3.0 instead of 5.3.1.

2017-12-14 08:02:54,494 INFO  [localhost-startStop-1] base.MfsDatabase  - Database Information --> Type:Microsoft SQL Server, Version:10.00.6241, JDBC Driver Name:jTDS Type 4 JDBC Driver for MS SQL Server and Sybase, JDBC Driver Version:1.3.1

2017-12-14 08:02:57,234 ERROR [main] core.OrionCore   - Detected a possible mismatch between the server and database. Try pointing the server to the correct database (ie, db versions of extensions must match what is on the filesystem)

java.lang.IllegalStateException: installed version of 'Issue' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\Issue\5.5.0.1 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: Issue:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'SoftwareMgmt' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\SoftwareMgmt\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: SoftwareMgmt:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'VIRUSCAN8800' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\VIRUSCAN8800\8.8.0.548 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: VIRUSCAN8800:8.8.0.448

installed version of 'ProductDeployment' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\ProductDeployment\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: ProductDeployment:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'CommonEvents' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\CommonEvents\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: CommonEvents:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'dr' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\dr\5.5.0.0 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: dr:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'ui' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\ui\5.5.0.0 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: ui:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'RepositoryMgmt' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\RepositoryMgmt\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: RepositoryMgmt:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'ldap' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\ldap\5.5.0.0 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: ldap:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'ldapsync' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\ldapsync\5.5.0.3 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: ldapsync:5.5.0.2

installed version of 'Countermeasures' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\Countermeasures\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: Countermeasures:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'EPOAGENTMETA' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\EPOAGENTMETA\5.0.5.131 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: EPOAGENTMETA:5.0.2.118

installed version of 'epoMigration' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\epoMigration\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: epoMigration:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'epoLicEnt' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\epoLicEnt\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: epoLicEnt:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'AvertAlerts' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\AvertAlerts\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: AvertAlerts:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'Notifications' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\Notifications\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: Notifications:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'VIRUSCANREPORTS' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\VIRUSCANREPORTS\1.2.0.346 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: VIRUSCANREPORTS:1.2.0.272

installed version of 'rs' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\rs\5.5.0.1 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: rs:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'rsd' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\rsd\5.0.5.123 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: rsd:4.7.2.130

installed version of 'ComputerMgmt' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\ComputerMgmt\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: ComputerMgmt:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'epolicensing' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\epolicensing\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: epolicensing:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'EPOCore' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\EPOCore\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: EPOCore:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'AgentMgmt' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\AgentMgmt\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: AgentMgmt:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'scheduler' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\scheduler\5.5.0.0 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: scheduler:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'console' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\console\5.5.0.2 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: console:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'GuidedConfig' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\GuidedConfig\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: GuidedConfig:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'InstallHelper' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\InstallHelper\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: InstallHelper:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'help' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\help\5.5.0.0 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: help:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'DataChannel' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\DataChannel\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: DataChannel:5.3.0.400

installed version of 'response' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\response\5.5.0.0 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: response:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'report' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\report\5.5.0.3 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: report:5.3.0.0

installed version of 'PolicyMgmt' extension at C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\PolicyMgmt\5.3.1.188 does not match OrionExtensions DB table entry: PolicyMgmt:5.3.0.400

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

I used the same installer that I had downloaded when I previously installed the server, I thought it should all be the same.

Just to try, I downloaded the 5.3.0 setup, and it tells me that "The specified database is not compatible with this version of ePolicy Orchestrator Setup. The database version is 5.3.1, and Setup requires 5.3.0"

Is there someway to correct that in the database that I had previously running with 5.3.1, or am I out of luck, and will have to start from scratch?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

how exactly are you trying to restore - snapshot recovery?  If so, you may not have a good snapshot in the database.  Do you have a backup of your file system as in kb66616 to restore via that method instead?  You would need to view the extension versions in the orionextensions table in the database to match the highest version of your file system.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

I didn't touch the database, and left it in place on the SQL server when I did the uninstall, so it was the most current running version. When I go to do the install, I Choose to restore from an existing database snapshot, and point it towards the sql server with the database, and provide the SQL authentication, and go forward with the install.

I should have a backup of the filesystem if needed, I haven't looked into that yet.

I just tried to do a fresh install of 5.9, thinking that I may be better off starting with a new database, and new version, since my previous build wasn't that complicated. However, when I tried a fresh install of 5.9, with a new database, I have the same issue, the install fails partway through, and rolls back the actions. I'm thinking it is more to do with the EPO server itself, than the database.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 9

can you post the install logs here, including the troubleshoot folder?

Was my reply helpful?

Here you go

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 9

Error encountered while running command:ext.install extension=file:///C:/PROGRA~2/McAfee/EPOLIC~1/INSTAL~1/ePO/EXTENS~2/epoST.zip

java.io.IOException: Error 0 :
The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\EPOCore\5.9.0.732\install.xml:181: java.sql.SQLException: User 'dbo' does not have permission to run DBCC freeproccache.

Please refer to KB89218.  This is resolved in epo 5.9.1.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community