cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPO 4.5 and VSE 8.7. DAT not updating automatically (works manually)

New server with EPO 4.5, from old server with 3.6.

Rolled out VSE 8.0 Patch 16 via old EPO 3.6.

Upgraded Agent and VSE via new epo successfully to Agent 4.5 and VSE 8.7 patch 2.

No errors at this point and previous testing did not show problems.

However I am now noticing a large number of the PCs are not updating the DATs automatically.

If I go to a PC, opne the virus console and run update manually the DAT is downloaded and installed without error. The console Update option has 'Not Scheduled' listed but I assumed this was because it was controlled via the agent.

All the machines have the most current engine.

It seems like a schedule problem but I cannot find any settings for DAT rollouts. The repository is set to update every 24 hours and downloads the latest DAT and Engine - but NOT SuperDAT - is that the issue?

Thanks

Andrew

7 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: EPO 4.5 and VSE 8.7. DAT not updating automatically (works manually)

Possibly a silly question, but do you have any update tasks scheduled? If not, that's what you'll need to do

Regards -

Joe

Not silly, probably the solution.

I was assuming this was an inbuilt part of the agent roll out. This is the first time I have ever used EPO so somewhat of a learning curve as to how it operates.

I assume I need to create a 'Client Task' for 'Product Update'? (As per attached)

Message was edited by: ajf_2009 on 12/1/09 3:57 AM
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Yep, that's the one

Create an update task and send it to the machines and they should be fine.

Regards -

Joe

prve
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

Hi!

I have the exact same problem. The update works, when users is on our network, but not on the road. I have the “Client task for product update”

The systems is in a “Managed State” but when I look in the “VirusScan Console” the values isn’t the same, as in EOP. Any idea?

I think I read the entire Internet, but did not find the answer.

Thanks

Per

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

That sounds like a different scenario - if the updates work OK when the machines are on the network then the udpate task must be running correctly.

From what you're describing I'd guess that the clients are unable to find a repository outside the network... have you got at least one Internet-accessible repo (e.g. the McAfee HTTP site) defined?

Regards -

Joe

prve
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

Hi!

I have both my epo server, and “McAfeeHttp” as update sites. If I click on the “system tray icon” and select “update security” then it updates just fine.

Problem is, that users don’t do this.

Thanks

Per

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

OK. When a scheduled update fails, what errors are reported in the agent_<machinename>.log and the mcscript.log?  These should give you an idea of where to look. Off the top of my head I'd guess at things like proxy configuration, that sort of thing.

Regards -

Joe