cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENS 10.6.1 December Bundle - Branch options

Jump to solution

Hello,

At present, I have the original ENS 10.6.1 install files from October 2018 in my Current Branch,.  I also have the original Hotfix from around February 2019 in my Current Branch.

My question is this please. When you install the ENS Bundle, you can choose the Branch that you want to install this into.

Does it automatically move exiting files into the Previous Branch,similar to the option that is available when you install the products one at a time?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 8 of 10

Re: ENS 10.6.1 December Bundle - Branch options

Jump to solution

Hi @Glenn_Bolton,

Thank you for your post. Just to cover up that last part of your statement:

"I am also wondering if I should delete the Hot Fix that is present, or simply keep this in the Previous Branch. I was under the impression that old Hot Fixes could be an issue. I realize that I must have my Agent Policy and Client Tasks setup correctly."

You are absolutely correct. Please remove the Hotfix package if you don't need them as Unlike Install packages, Hotfixes do not depend on "Product Deployment" task for getting applied. They depend on a "Product Update" task and I have seen many environments having product update task run every day to update Dat where they also update patches and hotfixes without really looking into and configuring the Update Task and McAfee Agent Policy (Updating tab of General Policy).

Although Hotfixes do not generally get applied to higher versions of Endpoint Security present on your machines, this is unnecessary usage of bandwidth as the tasks (if present, enabled and scheduled to run every day along with Dat updates) will try fetching and downloading these update related files to confirm if it is required or not. Hence getting rid of Hotfixes you do not need or moving them to a branch that is not used by any of your Agent policies would be a good idea!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ZGreen
Level 9
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution
How are you putting the package into the repository? There is always the option to move into previous branch.
McAfee Employee LKS
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Glenn_Bolton,

It will not automatically move to different branch unless you select "move existing package to previous branch" while checkin the package.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Jump to solution

Thank you. That is helpful. I wasn't sure if the ENS Bundle gave you the option to "Move" existing files to the Previous Branch.

We are using only the Threat Prevention component of ENS. I have attached a JPG file of the current ENS files in my Master Repository.

Here is what I was thinking of doing:

1.) From the Master Repository: Move all of the files dated 10/18/18 to the Previous Branch.

2. Move the (4) Hot Fix updates dated 3/15/2019 from the Evaluation Branch to the Previous Branch.

3. Delete the ENS Platform and ENS Threat Prevention files dated 4/16/19 from the Current Branch. These were copied from the Evaluation Branch and were applied to all systems beginning last April and I would have a backup copy still in the Evaluation Branch.

My thought is that if I made these changes via the Master Repository and synced them to my Secondary Repository Servers, then I could install the ENS December Bundle into the Current Branch.

I am also wondering if I should delete the Hot Fix that is present, or simply keep this in the Previous Branch. I was under the impression that old Hot Fixes could be an issue. I realize that I must have my Agent Policy and Client Tasks setup correctly.

Thank you very much.

ZGreen
Level 9
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

I would move the one you are checking into to evaluation and make sure there are not issues first before sending to whole network. Just use test box and make sure to replicate and change mcafee agent policy for systems you are testing. Also check to see if there are updates or hotfixes after the December update because that probably means issues were identified with this version. Just a thought.

Jump to solution

Thank you.

I was able to cleanup my Master Repository. I found that moving some of the existing packages around to different branches took more time than expected and in some cases, I actually had to repeat the steps. 

I then installed the ENS Bundle as you described.

This is working as needed.

Much appreciated.

McAfee Employee LKS
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Glenn_Bolton,

Just a small correction here. When you check in any packages in Master Repository "move current package to previous branch". However if you try to checkin ENS bundle from MAster Repository, you have to check in the each module packages one by one. The reason because "bundle" PKG contains including extensions which cannot be checked in via Master Respository as it has to be checked in via Extension dashboard. 

Being said, if you have any older packages/patches in Master Repository which is no longer gonna useful, you can delete it. Keeping more packages/patches in repository will be unease to maintain.

Evaluation Branch: Testing purpose

Current : Current packages which is running on production Environment

Previous : Older packages

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi @Glenn_Bolton,

Thank you for your post. Just to cover up that last part of your statement:

"I am also wondering if I should delete the Hot Fix that is present, or simply keep this in the Previous Branch. I was under the impression that old Hot Fixes could be an issue. I realize that I must have my Agent Policy and Client Tasks setup correctly."

You are absolutely correct. Please remove the Hotfix package if you don't need them as Unlike Install packages, Hotfixes do not depend on "Product Deployment" task for getting applied. They depend on a "Product Update" task and I have seen many environments having product update task run every day to update Dat where they also update patches and hotfixes without really looking into and configuring the Update Task and McAfee Agent Policy (Updating tab of General Policy).

Although Hotfixes do not generally get applied to higher versions of Endpoint Security present on your machines, this is unnecessary usage of bandwidth as the tasks (if present, enabled and scheduled to run every day along with Dat updates) will try fetching and downloading these update related files to confirm if it is required or not. Hence getting rid of Hotfixes you do not need or moving them to a branch that is not used by any of your Agent policies would be a good idea!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Thank you...Good advice.

McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi @Glenn_Bolton,

Thank you for your kind response. I am glad I could be of assistance! Kudos to you for updating us what helped you 🙂

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community