Did you mean: 
xspader
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Duplicate systems different GUID

Jump to solution

Hi All

i have an issue that I am sure others may well be facing. what i have is duplicated entried showing up for systems due to the different connectivity options they have available. In one day we could have a system run from wired to wireless and via VPN (Cisco). All use their own adaptors and all have their own MAC address, so I end up with 3 entries for the same system. this can cause an issue for policy deployment as they sometimes end up in Lost & Found, and also screws with reporting and license allocation numbers.

Does anyone else have a similar environment setup, and how do you deal with these? I would have thought with the range of connectivity options available that the McAfee agents would simply use the GUID to check if it is managed and the update the details for the specified connection and not create an entirely new entry

As our workforce is highly mobile with Endpoint Encryption I would rather not run a task to delete duplicates as this has an ability at times to cause issues with Encryption.

Anyone know if this type of behaviour is resolved in Agent version 5?

Running EPO 5.1.1

Agent 4.8.1500

Windows 7 systems

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Duplicate systems different GUID

Jump to solution

Hi.

We had the same scenario and we are dealing with that with 2 automated task.

From 6am to 6pm we have the following task running every hour.

Delete duplicates machines from system tree at hours o'clock

Synchronizing from AD at half past hours

With that we make sure we can have duplicates for less than 30 minutes..

Best regards

Jose Maria

9 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Moved to ePO for better handling - Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi.

We had the same scenario and we are dealing with that with 2 automated task.

From 6am to 6pm we have the following task running every hour.

Delete duplicates machines from system tree at hours o'clock

Synchronizing from AD at half past hours

With that we make sure we can have duplicates for less than 30 minutes..

Best regards

Jose Maria

xspader
Level 10
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

That was what i was thinking of doing, but as some are away from the office and potentially offline until the next day, with no way to wake up the agent I'm just concerned that this could lead to undesireable behaviour of the Encryption system.

Thank you for the response. i will chat with support as well and maybe this needs to be a product improvement for the next patch release of the agent.

Jump to solution

Anytime Xspader

xspader
Level 10
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Tasking to the McAfee presales guy here in NZ and he emailed this to me

'New GUID’s are created based on a unique combination of elements per machine – under Server Settings – Detected System Matching – you can define the list of elements. Might pay to look for a different combination to identify unique machines.'

I'll check this out tomorrow as it may help solve your duplicates too.

nteferi
Level 9
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi jose , please follow :

Clients communicating with ePO via VPN disappear from ePO tree

Technical Articles ID:  KB52949

By adding the first six characters to the ePOVirtualMacVendor table, you're telling ePO to skip the MAC address check for any machines whose MAC address starts with those six characters:

this means that each machine will get its own entry in ePO, as it shoud

Thanks, nat

Jump to solution

after performing this KB article, are there any other possibilities for having duplicates? If I am syncing with Active Directory with the option (Move systems from their current System Tree location to the synchronized group). Shouldn't the duplicate stay in Lost and Found?

Let say the Mac Address for the virtual nic is something static (ex. XXXXXXXXXXXX). What becomes the new unique value? Computer name? Agent GUID?

Jump to solution

I don't see Detected System Matching under ePO 5.1 server settings

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Unfortunately the comment about how the GUID is created is incorrect. The detected systems matching criteria are a function of RSD, and are not relevant in the situation we're describing here.

This is a complex area of ePO that seems to create a lot of confusion. I'm in the process of writing an explanation which will hopefully clarify things - bear with me.

Regards -

Joe