cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need replication ePO and SuperAgent machine as use SuperAgent?

Hi All,

I read my articles and solved how to create superagent (agent - create general and repository tabs) but I have one confusion. Do I need replication ePO and Super agent machine from menu > software > Distributed Repositories and replication path.

In my opinion: administrator wake up super agent, it will wake up all other agents, right? so super agent needs software (replication from ePO to super agent) update and share/deploy to other agents. Otherwise, agents go directly ePO to update so We cant get any bandwidth the minimization.

Can someone could explain me please?

Best Regards.

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Do I need replication ePO and SuperAgent machine as use SuperAgent?

The superagent wakeup call feature has nothing to do with it being a repository, it only sends a wakeup call to the systems within its subnet on behalf of the epo server.  For a superagent repository to be functional and have up to date content to deliver to clients, the repository needs to be populated by one of 2 methods.

1. Replication from epo to the repository via a server task or as you indicated above.

2. enable lazy caching in the superagent policy.  This tells the superagent to pull content from epo on an as needed basis as clients request it.

The first is a push from epo to repo, the second one pulls from epo to populate itself.  You do not use both methods - only one or the other, or content can fail to get updated on the repository.

If you use replication instead of lazy caching, ensure your client update schedules follow this rotation so that the repositories are always up to date sites.

1. Pull from epo

2. Replicate to repositories right after pull

3. Clients update after replication has completed and before the next pull.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

first of all thank you for your update.

only wakeup means, just epo policies without any update?

I unchecked lazy caching and did replica, I got 7 warning and 1 error. then check the rep site that superagent machine, I looked the file that failed to upload.

Do I need any configuration? SuperAgent is added to Repositories but disabled. Do I need to enable it?

after using replication method if I check the lazy cachig, repository will update itself?

1. Pull from epo

2. Replicate to repositories right after pull

3. Clients update after replication has completed and before the next pull -- for these steps do I need create server task? could you write please paths?

Sincerely.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Only wakeup means no updates, that is correct.  Superagent wakeup calls are designed to lower bandwidth from the epo server to clients by using the superagent instead of epo to send wakeup calls to the clients within its subnet.

When you enabled the superagent repositories, how specifically did you do it?  Did you just specify a path in the agent policy for the repository location and push the policy to the system, or did you create the path ahead of time on the superagent.  If you created the path ahead of time, you will need to re-do it.  Set them not as repositories again, delete the entire directory you created, including the root of the path, then push the policy back to the servers.  If replication still fails, i would recommend opening a case with McAfee. 

If you choose to use lazy caching instead, no replication is needed.  When a client requests software from the repository, the server will pull that software to its repocache and stream it also to the client - it will store it then for the next client that requests it.  So yes, it will update itself.

You don't need to enable the repositories for replication - that is only a status for clients to use or not use them.

1. Pull from epo - you will need a repository pull task configured in the server tasks.

2. Replicate to repositories right after pull - this requires a replication server task

3. Clients update after replication has completed and before the next pull - this is a client update task

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community