Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csteels
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

Distributed repositories, trying to disable legacy DAT replication

Jump to solution

After pulling in the 6683 DAT today in office hours it has caused havoc with saturating out network replicating to the distributed repositories at our remote offices.

I've been looking at ways of making it work a little better and as we are running VSE 8.8 I've set our EPO sources to use the V2 sites to download DATs from which I've read reduces the size of data downloaded considerably.

Also I'm trying to uncheck

Thanks

Chris

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Distributed repositories, trying to disable legacy DAT replication

Jump to solution

Thanks Joe thats very helpful.

As we do deploy new machines/rebuild machines at remote offices from time to time would a good practice for us be to

- Turn off global updating so we dont get hit again if we ever do a manual DAT pull during the day.

- Enable lazy caching (with default

What would happen with a new build machine, would it have to get the full DAT package from the remote main epo server which would then be cached on the superagent server?

12 Replies
csteels
Level 9
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

Anybody have any ideas?

Tristan
Level 15
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

What kind of repository are they?

HTTP, FTP, UNC or super agent?

csteels
Level 9
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Tristan

On the Software > Distributed repositories screen they all show as type Super Agent

pboedges
Level 10
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

The network issue could be related to Global Updating (Server Settings), try disabling it if not already.  A second thing you can do is to limit the DAT pull from your clients to a single time after core hours.  Since you are downloading from the V2 sites you should not be getting any of the V1 DAT files.  All your DAT files should read something like 66856686avv(dot)gem with the full DAT avvdat-6866(dot)zip

csteels
Level 9
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

I've tried disabling Global Updating completely as suggested and it still does the same when trying to unselect Replicate legacy DATs.

As Ive pointed our sources now to the V2 sites, will all of the old V1 DAT files just fall away over the next couple of weeks as they become outdated?  Just trying to minimise replication traffic where its not needed due to us only using VSE 8.8

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

The "unexpected error" is definitely not normal, and I'd suggest opening a case with support to get that investigated properly.

The V2 dat site won't really have any effect - the V1 DATs haven't been posted for a long time now, so the V1 and V2 sites have been identical for some time.

Can you describe your environment a bit more? It may well be that there are better alternatives to replication.

How many distributed repositories have you got?

How many client machines are using each DR?

Are the client machines (generally speaking) fairly up to date (i.e. not more than say 20 days out of date)?

Thanks -

Joe

csteels
Level 9
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks Joe

The epo layout is set so that each each office server (30 of them) are the distributed repositories, we have about 550 client machines ranging from between 5-70 in an office with the majority falling in between 10-30 machines.

Client machines are all generally right up to date.

Normally we run the DAT update task out of hours so not normally an issue, just when we manually pulled in the 6683 the other morning (and Global update got triggered) we thought it would replicate around in time before users got in, but as it doesnt use BITS it created a bit of havoc when users all started logging in and sychronising their offline Outlook mailboxes etc!

Thanks

Chris

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

Okay, thanks. With these numbers you definitely don't need to be replicating every day, as the amount of data required even on the "worst" site is still way less than a single full dat package.

Could I suggest you have a look at MA 4.6's Lazy Caching feature? It's pretty much tailor made for your environment and will drastically reduce the amount of WAN traffic...

HTH -

Joe

Jump to solution

Thanks Joe thats very helpful.

As we do deploy new machines/rebuild machines at remote offices from time to time would a good practice for us be to

- Turn off global updating so we dont get hit again if we ever do a manual DAT pull during the day.

- Enable lazy caching (with default

What would happen with a new build machine, would it have to get the full DAT package from the remote main epo server which would then be cached on the superagent server?