cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Deployment task reports success, but it actually isn't

Jump to solution
I can successfully deploy McAfee Agent to a pc. When I deploy the Endpoint Security Task or even the individual components, ePO reports each is successful, but the components are not actually installed. PC is Win10, using the latest of everything with ePO, Endpoint, etc.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 10 of 23

Re: Deployment task reports success, but it actually isn't

Jump to solution

Install the agent first, then set up a deployment task to push out platform and threat prevention.  One thing to not, if this is Windows 10 build 1903, then ENS will not install.  There are no full installers for it yet.  You would need to use VSE patch 13 instead.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

22 Replies

Jump to solution

I've also removed the pc from ePO and added it back, deploye the Agent again, etc.  

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 23

Jump to solution

What version of the agent?  Try this - in agent general policy, disable all peer to peer, then send client wakeup call to get changes.  Then run another update task.

If it still fails, you need to look at masvc log to see if it got the task and invoked it, then if so, the mcscript (or mcscript deploy log if it exists) for same time frame to see if it was able to get files from the repositories or not.

c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

It has Agent 5.6.1.157.  Not sure if it matters, but this is a recently rebuilt Win10 pc (clean reinstall) that was previously in ePO.  I tried the option with P2P disabled, but no additional components installed.  In the McScript_deploy.log from this morning, one section that stands out to me is the following, but let me know if there is something specific I should be looking for as I have rarely needed to dig into log files. 

Final Product <DXL____1000>, state:<installed>

Final Product <EPOAGENT3000>, state:<installed>

Final Product <ENDP_GS_1060>, state:<installing>

Final Product <ENDP_AM_1060>, state:<installing>

Final Product <ENDPATP_1060>, state:<installing>

Final status: <compatibility> success

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 23

Jump to solution

That part is only running a compatibility check before it actually tries to install the products.  What you would look for is it downloading the setup files for each product and then invoking them.  You would see it pulling multiple files from the repository, then running, for example, setuptp.exe for threat prevention.  If it gets to that point, then you need to look at windows\temp\mcafeelogs for the install logs for the point product in question to see where that failed.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

I do get a lot of activity (over a hundred lines?) in the Agent Monitor when I do a Wakeup with policy/task updates.  Including Installing ENDP_GS_1060; Downloading setupCC.exe; Update succeeded to version 10.6.1.  Not sure how it can report that since nothing is getting installed.   Lots of downloading/verifying, but not much installing.  I then checked windows\temp\McAfee logs.  Lot of files, but interestingly the most recent file was last modified yesterday, June 11, at 4:33 PM.  

Jump to solution

I had also run McAfee Product Removal on this machine yesterday, as I've found that to be the last resort when the Agent refuses to communicate with ePO.  Product Removal been bulletproof until I got to this machine. 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 23

Jump to solution

If you ran the removal tool, did you reboot?  I would assume you did.  Sometimes leftover remnants can cause this.  Go into the registry and ensure there are no remnants under hklm\software\mcafee and network associates (if you removed all products) as well as hklm\software\wow6432node\mcafee and network associates.

These should be gone in the file system also if you removed all products:

c:\program files\common files\mcafee as well as c:\program files (x86)\common files\mcafee

c:\program files (and program files (x86))\mcafee

c:\programdata\mcafee

windows\system32\drivers - all mfe* files

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

I just downloaded the latest Endpoint Removal Tool 19.5.0.17 and ran it again.  It removed everything you mentioned except the folder c:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee.  The folder is there, but I confirmed it has no hidden files and then manually deleted it.  What steps do you suggest next?  Start with the Agent, then try my full deployment task or just do ENS Platform first, then Threat Prevention, etc.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 23

Jump to solution

Install the agent first, then set up a deployment task to push out platform and threat prevention.  One thing to not, if this is Windows 10 build 1903, then ENS will not install.  There are no full installers for it yet.  You would need to use VSE patch 13 instead.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community