Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rothman
Level 7

Deploying software packages via ePO using endpoint IP address

ePO: 4.6.5

Agent: 4.6.0.2918 / 4.8.0.641

In my environment, I am seeing some machines with stale or actually no DNS host entries (primarily Macintosh machines).  I believe, due to this, ePO is unable to find the machine in order to deploy the security suite after the agent has been installed.  Granted, this is not a problem with ePO, but the Macs for not registering with the DNS server(s) and I've considered using Casper, but I'm trying to get this doen through McAfee first before having to go outside of my general scope.

Does anyone know of a way to force ePO into deploying software based on IP address versus DNS entry (it seems to be able to deploy the agent without it)?  Is there some kind of command line that needs to be plugged in?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hem
Level 15

Re: Deploying software packages via ePO using endpoint IP address

You can create a tag based on IP addresses, use client task based on tag.

0 Kudos
ulyses31
Level 16

Hi rothman, when you set a deployment task what really happens is not a software push from ePO but a software pull from the endpoint so it's your endpoints who you should be able to resolve ePO's DNS ame and they need to be able to reach ePO's IP address

0 Kudos
Artfulbodger
Level 13

The only push is a windows agent deployment using a TCP SMB push to the remote admin$ share, although for OSX no push agent deploy is currently available.

Once the agent is installed all client tasks for software deployment are 'pulls' by the clients over the Agent-server communication channel (SSL 443 default for MA4.5 and greater) using the proprietary SPIPE protocol.

I agree with Laszlo G, this sounds like a name resolution issue from the OSX devices to the ePO server.

0 Kudos