cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy agent with command line parameters through ePo

Hi,

I was wondering if it possible to use command line parameters while distributing the ePo agent through the ePo server?

9 Replies
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: Deploy agent with command line parameters through ePo

Hi...

Can you give a bit more detail about what you're trying to achieve?

Thanks -

Joe

Good idea.

By default the current ePo agent seems to install with the system default locale which is dutch and a big no-go.

We need it to install in English. For that we use /uselanguage=0409 when installing manually.

How can we force this behavior through ePo server?

Message was edited by: jvb_backman on 7/28/10 9:10:55 AM CDT

According to the documentation you can add command line parameters to a deployment task. But when adding new systems to the server via GUI you don't have that option.

So it seems the only way is to add the system to the ePo server without installing an agent and then using a deployment task for that system that installs the agent with command line parameters.

Correct? Is there any other way?

McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 10

jvb_backman wrote:

According to the documentation you can add command line parameters to a deployment task. But when adding new systems to the server via GUI you don't have that option.

So it seems the only way is to add the system to the ePo server without installing an agent and then using a deployment task for that system that installs the agent with command line parameters.

Correct? Is there any other way?

I'm afraid that won't work - a machine needs to have an agent installed in order to be able to run the deployment task: you can't do the initial deployment that way.

About the only way that I can think of to do this from the console would be to check the MA4.5 RTW package into the Previous branch, and the MA 4.5 Patch 1 package into the Current branch. Then you push the RTW package to the clients, and have a deployment task with the /uselanguage switch set to deploy the Patch 1 package...  that should work, I think.

HTH -

Joe

Ok Thanks. It acknowledges my thoughts.

McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

No problem

Of course you can always use the switch if you install the agent directly - via a login script, for example, or manually.

Regards -

Joe

Indeed. We'll go for the manual and scripted way...

what about if we need to use the deployment task to DOWNGRADE an agent?

say from MA45p1 to MA45p0?

is there a command line switch to use to get that working? if not what can be used in that option?

I ask because i used switches /install=agent /forceinstall, to UPGRADE successfully, but when i used the same switches to downgrade the agent, the task ran, says successful but didnt actually do anything.

dont even see msi log entries for that attempt.

McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Unfortunately this won't work - the deployment task is run by the agent, but the /force switches will remove the agent that's running the task, leaving you with no agent on the machine. As far as I can recall the /force switches are filtered out by deployment tasks for this reason.

HTH -

Joe

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community