cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy agent using AD Group Policy KB89861

Regarding deploying the 5.x agent using Group Policy I have a few questions -

What happens if an agent of the same version already existis on the system, will it attempt to reinstall the agent?

What happens if an older agent already exists, will it be upgraded?

If the software is deployed via Group Policy but later you unlink the policy or delete the original source share with the Agent installer, what happens if you try to push a new agent from the ePO console or uninstall from the ePO console?  Will it require that original deployment share to exist? 

Thanks.

4 Replies
vnaidu
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Deploy agent using AD Group Policy KB89861

@willtest

Please find the answers below.

What happens if an agent of the same version already existis on the system, will it attempt to reinstall the agent?

If Agent is already installed, it will be overwritten and the current framepkg will sit in place with its respective MA properties.

What happens if an older agent already exists, will it be upgraded?

If a older version is installed, it will be upgraded to the latest version, if it is compatible with the latest Agent. Please check MA support environments or KB90642. Otherwise, the existing agent is untouched.

If the software is deployed via Group Policy but later you unlink the policy or delete the original source share with the Agent installer, what happens if you try to push a new agent from the ePO console or uninstall from the ePO console?  Will it require that original deployment share to exist? 

Nomatter, you deploy Agent through GPO or push it from ePO, the framepkg file same because you are extracting the file from the respective ePO. if you delete the file, again you can push it from ePO vice versa. There is no mandate to have the share in place. You can use alternate from the console.

I hope the above information helps. Let me  know in case of any further questions or concenrs, I am happy to help.

Regards,

Venu
Tags (3)

Venu thanks for you detailed response.  I still need clarification on one point.  Assume day 1, the system reboots and the agent is installed.  What happens on day 2 when the systems reboots again?  Does the installer check to see if the agent is already installed then exits, or does it reinstall the same agent again?

vnaidu
Level 11
Message 4 of 5

@willtest

If the agent is installed let me say today, and the machine rebooted, which means the agent is installed today without issues and it will strat communicating to its respective ePO and try to synchronize with the respective policies.

Now day two when the system reboots again, nothing happens because the Agent is running fine and it will say I am healthy, so nothing is going to happen during this instance.

Hope I clarified your question. May be you can select this as an answer. Let me know in case of any questions.

Regards,

Venu
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

I would like to clarify a few points.  Some of the actions are going to depend on what your gpo script is doing.  If it is just running the install without doing any checks, it will attempt to reinstall the agent each time the gpo script runs.

If the agent is already installed at the same version, it will run the install, see that it has the same version and will exit.  The exception to that is if your script has the forceinstall switch, which is not recommended at all.  If using forceinstall, it will reinstall every time and can cause duplicates in epo and other possible issues.

If the agent installed is lower than the gpo version, it will upgrade it.

If you unlink the gpo and try to push an agent from epo, what happens then is that epo copies the framepkg file to the local system and runs the exe.  So unlilnking it will not be an issue.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.