Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 21

Deploy Agent - Assigned Client Task: won't run!

Jump to solution

In this installment of it's not you it's me, this Newb asks:

So after successfully manually deploying McAfee Agents to my test clients all day long, I wanted to automate things, so....

I created a New Client Task Assignment called "Deploy Agent"

Created it at: This Node (My Organization.Workstations)

and set the Schedule type: At system startup

then I jumped to System Tree confidently clicked on New Systems and ambitiously Targeted three IP addresses separated by commas with the Add systems to the current group (Workstations), but do not push agents option

Then I rebooted my three machines 97 times, ha ha and observed nothing, thing happened, so as always, what did I do wrong?

Why won't this task fire on system startup ?Why won't this task fire on system startup ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 21

Re: Deploy Agent - Assigned Client Task: won't run!

Jump to solution

Have you looked at this to determine what is going on?

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator/HOW-TO-TROUBLESHOOT-CLIENT-UPDATE-DEPLOYMENT-FA...

Basically, you first look at the masvc log on the client.  It will show getting the task, when it is scheduled to run next and if and when it invokes.

Once it invokes, go to the mcscript_deploy.log.  You should see it going to the repository to download the required files and one of them being the setup file for the point product.  If it fails on downloading files, we need to figure out what the error is and why it is failing.

If it downloads the files successfully and runs the setup, then it is past the agent responsibilities and is now with msiexec and/or point product to run the setup.  You would then to go the windows\temp\mcafeelogs folder for the install log to see cause of success or failure.  

So bottom line, basic things we need to know. 

1. Is it getting the task and running it?

2. Is it able to get the files from repository?

3.  What happens when setup is invoked?

Another thing to look for in the troubleshooting link I sent you, is whether mcscript is being blocked by any injection.  You would look at the mfemactl log for that time frame task ran, and would look for mcscript_inuse.exe blocked by...

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 21

Jump to solution

the Unmanaged...

UnmanagedUnmanaged

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Jump to solution

so I selected them one IP at a time from the System Tree and used the Action \ Agent \ Deploy Agent feature to successfully deploy the Mcafee Agent to each machine, however they still remained Unmanaged

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Jump to solution

so then I tried adding them as News Systems from the System Tree

(desperate times, ladies and gentlemen, desperate times, ha ha)

ok, so we get the Duplicate System Found, warning alright let's see how will McAfee resolve this conflict?  Will it over write the first one?  Will it merge the two deployments together?

um... it doesn't it installs two McAfee Agents, wth?

... but wait, there's only one McAfee Agent installed in the Control Panel \ Programs and Features?

Duplicate System FoundDuplicate System Found

Tow McAfee Agent Shields ? ?Tow McAfee Agent Shields ? ?

Control Panel | Programs and FeaturesControl Panel | Programs and Features

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Jump to solution

and now we have six Unmanaged systems in the System Tree

Unmanaged Duplicates !?Unmanaged Duplicates !?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Jump to solution

nuked all six systems from the System Tree, three Agents uninstalled automagically the other three had to be uninstalled using the FRMINST /REMOVE=AGENT command manually on each of the three test workstations, no big deal

then I added all three IP addresses one at a time and guess what? they are still all Unmanaged

looks like this isn't the first time it has happened 

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator/Systems-Unmanaged/m-p/464197#M48838

I give up... for now!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 21

Jump to solution

When you deploy the agent and it installs, the agent will check in and add itself to the system tree if not already there.  It will add it by its node name.  So if an IP entry exists for that system, it is not the same name as actual name of system, so a duplicate entry will be created.  Just delete the duplicates.  If you go to my organization, choose this group and all sub groups and search for one of those system names, you will most likely find it somewhere.  You need to see then where it added itself - most likely lost and found unless you have system tree sorting set up and it matches some of the sort criteria

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Jump to solution

thank you so much cdinet

"If you go to my organization, choose this group and all sub groups and search for one of those system names, you will most likely find it somewhere."

you were spot on, indeed that's where they were lurking under a new group name called the same thing as my domain name, who knew? ha ha

very much appreciate your help

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 21

Jump to solution

For newly added machines to system tree, you can't push from client task. You need to select the machine->Action->deploy agent.

If the machine already have MA installed and communicating then you can upgrade using 'Product deployment task' like you mentioned in screenshot.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 21

Jump to solution

@gregski 

Adding to Hem,

You can also select the Deploy Agent options while performing the AD SYNC.

Below is the screenshot:

Deploy Agent AD SYNC.PNG

If you don't want to use this option then need to deploy agents after selecting the machines from system tree.

Once the Agents start communicating and in future if you would like to upgrade in that case use the Product Deployment Task to upgrade them.

Other thing please check the KB56386 for the agent deployment pre-requisite.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB56386

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community