cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jpatje
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Delete deployment tasks (on single systems)

I've been creating deployment tasks for 10-15 single systems to deploy VSE 8.7i.

My question: Is there a way to delete all those (one time deployment) client tasks?

The problem is, when I want to deploy VSE to another single system, I create a single system deployment task, but I get the message the task name already exists.

So i solve this problem by using the names: VSE8.7 deploy, VSE8.7 deploy2, VSE8.7xx, etc.

EPO remembers all these tasks apparantly.. is there a way to delete all these tasks?

Tnx.

9 Replies

Re: Delete deployment tasks (on single systems)

Good question...

I´m looking forward to seeing this solution.

Regards,

Diego

Jpatje
Level 7
Message 4 of 10

Tnx Harris, that must be it. Although I'm not gonna install SQL server management studio just for that... i'll leave the tasks where they are.
Too bad McAfee didn't build such a feature in EPO.

Tnx anyway.

Lieven
Level 7
Message 5 of 10

Jpatje,

I am not able to solve your problem, but in the future it might be better to work like this:

1. Create a new subgroup

2. On that group: create a Deployment task

3. Move the systems you want to upgrade to that group.

4. Once the upgrade is finished, you can move them back to their original group.

In that way you do not need multiple deployment tasks for your systems. You can manage them on group-level.

Also keep in mind that the policies on the deployment group should be the same as the original group, the systems were in. So multiple deplmyment groups might be needed.

Hope this helps.

Lieven

I tried Lieven's method, but because I use AD synch the systems that got moved for tasks we're getting duplicated and put into Lost&Found and back in their original location, probably something to do with the tree ordering.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

You cannot delete the task for a single system but you can modify it and disable it. Here is how:

1. Logon to the EPO console
  2. Locate the machine in the system tree you wish to disable the task on and place a check next to the machine
  3. Select Actions | Agent | Modify Tasks on a Single System for EPO 4.5 or More Actions | Modify tasks on Single System for EPO 4.0
  4. Edit the task you wish to disable for this system
  5. Uncheck Task and schedule settings next to Inheritance
  6. Click on the Schedule tab
  7. Select Disabled | Save

I hope that helps!

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

I just read the original problem (tasks with duplicate names). The only solution here is to have an original task name for each system. My suggestion would be to incorporate the system name in the name of the deployment task. For example if you are defining a deployment task for a specific machine name the task "Deployment task for ClientA" if the machines name is ClientA.

Jpatje
Level 7
Message 9 of 10

Hello Jeremy,

I am creating tasks with unique names, but I did not want to clutter EPO with left behind tasks, if you know what I mean

Anyway, I'm leaving it the way it is now. Thanks.

I had the same issue to contend with.  I decided to make a task at the top level of ePO but leave it disabled.  I would then go to the individual systems and change the inheritance and enable the policy.  This allowed me to go back and reset inheritance when the task was done thus cleaning up the tasks on the individual systems.  In fact I still do this for my Windows 2000 systems because they can't install the 4.5 agent so I have the 4.0.0.1494 in my repository as the previous version and I have a task to deploy that agent but it is disabled on all my systems except the Windows 2000 systems.  When they are upgraded or replaced I can reset the inheritance on them to have them be like all my other systems.