Did you mean: 
Isagel
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Database size limit for SQL 2008 Express that comes with ePO 5.1

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm upgrading from ePO 4.6.8 and currently use SQL 2005 Express.

ePO 5.1 includes SQL Server 2008 Express, is the database size limit 4G? Or is it SQL Server 2008R2 express that comes with ePO 5.1?  This DB size limit is 10G.

I'll mention that I have about 800 managed hosts and performance has not been a problem with 05 express, I know it is recommended to use a dedicated SQL server if managing more than 250 systems.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Database size limit for SQL 2008 Express that comes with ePO 5.1

Jump to solution

You are correct, SQL 2k8 express size limit is 4gb; 2k8r2 is 10gb. ePO 5.1 will install 2k8 express, not r2, so your limit would be 4gb.

SQL express is a dedicated database management product, it is just not as extensive as the full version is. With only 800 systems you should have no problem using express, but if you see the DB getting large or want to get all the computing power out of whatever server you have ePO running on, you might want to move to the full version. SQL express limits your max computing capacity to 1 socket or 4 cores and the max computing memory is only 1gb . Full standard version of SQL lets you use up to 4 sockets or 16 cores and up to 128gb of memory. It all comes down to your organizations needs and whatnot, but any DBA will be a advocate for the full version of SQL expect for the most trivial databases.

I put together the attached ePO database document a while ago. If you do go with the full SQL version, there is some good info in it to read up on.

3 Replies

Jump to solution

You are correct, SQL 2k8 express size limit is 4gb; 2k8r2 is 10gb. ePO 5.1 will install 2k8 express, not r2, so your limit would be 4gb.

SQL express is a dedicated database management product, it is just not as extensive as the full version is. With only 800 systems you should have no problem using express, but if you see the DB getting large or want to get all the computing power out of whatever server you have ePO running on, you might want to move to the full version. SQL express limits your max computing capacity to 1 socket or 4 cores and the max computing memory is only 1gb . Full standard version of SQL lets you use up to 4 sockets or 16 cores and up to 128gb of memory. It all comes down to your organizations needs and whatnot, but any DBA will be a advocate for the full version of SQL expect for the most trivial databases.

I put together the attached ePO database document a while ago. If you do go with the full SQL version, there is some good info in it to read up on.

Isagel
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Perfect, thanks for this info and the document.

Jump to solution

Fwiw, when you open the ePO 5.1.1 installer it seems to contain the setup executable 'SQLEXPR2008R2SP1_x64_ENU.exe'.

That imples to me it's actually going to install Sql Express 2008 R2.