cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zuku
Level 7

Database indexes are fragmented

Before upgrade EPO to version 5.9 I have warning massage:  ePo database indexes are fragmented. Rebuild the index before upgrading.

Could anyone give me instructions how to do that?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
johnmoe
Level 11

Re: Database indexes are fragmented

There are instructions on how to do that in the SQL Maintenance Plan for ePO: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=kb67184

0 Kudos
zuku
Level 7

Yes, but there is one problem, EPO installs with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express version and SQL Management for Express edition des not have maintenance plans feature.

So I have to buy full version of SQL Server 2008 R2 to do this?

0 Kudos
johnmoe
Level 11

I don't believe so, no, but it does mean you'll have to do it manually rather than through a maintenance plan.  I'm not a SQL expert, though, so I'm not entirely sure how one would go about it.  I believe MS's site has info about how to rebuild SQL indices; maybe you can adapt that for your SQL server using the info in the ePO SQL Maintenance Plan.

0 Kudos
andrep1
Level 14

You can install SQL server management studio and do the re-indexing from there.

Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) | Microsoft Docs

0 Kudos

I ran into the same issue - McAfee running on SQL Express.  I downloaded and installed Server Management Studio on the SQL server, then went to this link:

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB67184&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=false...

Downloaded the RebuildReorganizeIndexes-V4.zip file, changed the .sql file to point to my database name then executed the script.  It fixed the problem so I could continue with the upgrade.

0 Kudos
jswatts72
Level 7

When I ran into this issue I installed SQL Server Management Studio (you can use the SQL Server Disk or you can download).  You are correct, the Express Version does not have the ability to create a Management Task nor a SQL Server Agent job.  However, the easiest way to tackle this was to (in Studio) right click on your database and  create a query.  Take the entire contents of the file RebuildReorganizeIndexes-V4.sql (changing the EDITABLE entries as required) into the query window and execute it. 

0 Kudos
epoope
Level 7

Hello, in my SQL Server Management Studio i have no "maintanance tasks" in Managements. Why i can´t create this ?sql Server.png

0 Kudos
jswatts72
Level 7

You have the Express Version, to defragment you do not need the maintenance task, create the query and copy the RebuildReorganizeIndexes-V4.sql (change the EDITABLE) and execute.

0 Kudos
epoope
Level 7

Thanks jswatts72 ! I don´t know how to do it. I have no experience in SQL. Did you know where i can find a manual or something about this job in SQL Express ?

0 Kudos