I am having an issue with my Windows 7 machines. They currently have the ePO 4.5 agent installed, McAfee AntiVirus 8.7 and McAfee AntiSpyware 8.7. However every few days I get a message from my Windows 7 machines that the dat files are out of date. When I run a security update from the Windows 7 machine it communicates with my ePO server and updates it's dats. But I have to initiate the update. The agent does not. Anyone else having this issue?
Known issue that deployment task doesn't recognize win7 os and so won't run that task.
The task will either need recreating or sql tweaks on your epo db. Hope that helps.
Thank you for this however after I have completed all the steps (which I have done) how do I verify that Windows 7 is now a supported platform? I sent an agent wake up call to my Windows 7 computers and they are still not updating automatically. Please advise.
Look at the agent log: C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Common Framework\DB\Agent_computername.LOG
Look for this in the log file
2010-03-16 07:36:37 I #2536 Sched m_szTaskName = -> Global Update
2010-03-16 07:36:37 I #2536 Sched m_szPlatforms = -> WIN95|WIN98|WINME|WNTS|WNTW|WXPW|WXPS|WXPHE|W2KS|W2KW|WVST|WVSTS
It should have WNT7W for Windows 7 in there.
Each task would have different platform codes. Dig in to the kb article i sent and the linked ones at the bottom of it. Good Luck.
Cool, i was just going to comment that it appears those platform codes are only showing up on my tasks that aren't ok for Win7. I'm still learning too...