in our EPO 4.0 environment the "Master Repository Status" on the DAshboard is not conform. I do'nt understand, why the "Latest Available" is less than "My Repository"!?
On Friday both DAT versions have had the same DAT versions 6101.000. And today I see this mismatch.
I also checked the "Packages in Master Repository" and found the latest DAT version 6104.
Why the status is'nt conform today? During the last month we hav'nt any problems with this indicator.
I also restarted the Task "Update Master Repository". The task finished without errors successful.
And all EPO-Clients have the latest DAT 6104 today.
How can I fix this missmatch?
Thanks and greetings from Germany
I have checked the URL http://myavert.avertlabs.com:8801/ReportService.asmx in IE. I can resove this URL without problems.
So the Proxy settings are configured right.
I also testet the "Master Repository Status" on EPO-Dashboard on our 4.5 testing environment. On this environment the problem also appers!!!
Here I see under "Latest Avaulable" the DAT version 6055 (the latest DAT some weeks before, when the test EPO server was online). But the state is "green"!!!
So I think, it's a global problem of the McAfee MyAvert site!? Is'nt it? May be other EPO useres have the same problems?
It's not just you. Our EPO console shows 6104.00 and 6100.00 as the latest available.
I thought it might be down to the quick patch release for the Widespread Reporting of “Here you have” Virus (aka W32/VBMania@MM) announcement. As they jumped two patch releases in one evening (We run at GMT so all DAT releases occur at night for us).Message was edited for typos by: Tristan on 13/09/10 12:05:09 IST
I think I may know what's going on here - I've got the Avert team looking at it. I'll update whewn I have more information.
I've got the following answer from McAfee business support:
... This is a known issue to McAfee that the latest DAT available is showing as 6100 where as the master repository is updated. We are currently investigating the issue and expecting a solution in 2 or 3 days. There is no issue in your ePO server. This problem is reported in world wide.
Have a nice day!
So let wait for fixing the problem...
now the versions are up to date in both sections and the problem is solved from McAfee.
Greetings from Germany