Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Daniel_S
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Crashing Agent Service under current versions now a known problem

Hello fellas,

just for your interest:

We had some users saying that their agents are no longer commincationg with the ePO. This happened randomly and the only thing one could see was that the mascv, the Agent-Service wasn´t running.

When you started it by hand it would work until the next reboot.

We observed that with agents 5.0.4 and 5.0.6.

I had a talk to McAfee lately who before blamed everything but their product and demanded ridiulous debugging.

Now they seem to know about a problem with the common agent versions where tasks running at system startup cause the service to fail/close/stop.

A workaround could be to either disable the task or change the shedule to something else.

They are now trying to bring out a fix for that issue.

The official KB (McAfee Corporate KB - McAfee Agent 5.0.x Known Issues KB83895 ) still doesn´t list the problem.

Hope this helps some people here.

Best regards

Dan

Best regards
Dan
5 Replies

Re: Crashing Agent Service under current versions now a known problem

Indeed we have the same issue that occurs either on Win7 and Win10 systems.

As a workaround we did a PS script to run masvc on affected systems.

If you look in EventViewer you can notice following:

- 1st attempt to start Agent\

- then suddenly stopped

- 2nd attempt

- stopped again

- 3rd one

- stopped and no more attempts.

We also created SR to support but received some stupid explanation that we have blocked ports on VPN.

Ridiculous...

Hello.

I'm running into the exact same problem you've described in this post (we're running Agent v5.0.6).  Were you ever able to find a solution?  There still doesn't appear to be anything in the McAfee knowledgebase that "officially acknowledges" this as a problem.  Hoping you can help shed some light on a possible fix.

*Right now, as a workaround, I threw together a powershell script that goes and starts the McAfee Agent service on computers where it is stopped, but that's far from ideal (and definitely not a long-term solution).

Thanks for your time.

Jon

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

There is a hotfix that resolves this for 5.0.6 but you have to open an SR to get it.  It contains other previous hotfix fixes also (is cumulative).  Request HF1223599

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
petedc
Level 9
Message 5 of 6

I have recently talked to McAfee Support about this problem as I had not seen this service crashing until I upgraded to MA 5.0.6.220.  I also asked support why this is not listed in the Known Issues document and they did not hav an answer.
As of today it is still NOT shown in the Known Issues documents but here is a link to the KB that discusses this exact issue and the fix is to upgrade to MA 5.5.1.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90634&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=f...

I have an ePO update planned for this coming weekend to correct this...this has been a very aggravating issue.
and I have also created and SCCM baseline Ci to be sure the McAfee Agent service is running.
I have not had to do this before and it seems to me we should not have to do this type of remediation on a product that has been around for so long. 

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

I have added that to the known issues doc, but it may take a couple of days to publish.  I apologize it wasn't brought to our attention sooner.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community