Did you mean: 
Sohel
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Clone production ePO

Jump to solution

Hello,

What are the steps I need to take so it doesn't impact our production ePO environment? Basically, I need to make sure no clients are communicating with the cloned server once it's up and running.

Anything I need to add to below steps:

1) Clone Prod ePO

2) Make sure cloned server doesn't have the same name and ip-address of the production ePO

3) Disable McAfee 3 services before I boot up the new server.

3) Configure db settings in the cloned server so it doesn't point to prod database (I need to know where that setting is located? file name)

Thanks!

what the steps I need to take to make sure it doesn't jeopardize my production my environment.

I have a few questions.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Re: Clone production ePO

Jump to solution

A restore process would be totally different from what you are doing.  A restore would be what is shown in the install guide as snapshot recovery.  As long as your restored vm won't have access to the production database when it is brought up for the first time, you should be fine.  Otherwise you can disable epo services temporarily just before you clone the vm so that when you turn on the new vm for the first time, epo won't try to connect to the production database.  Then you can edit the db.properties file to point to the new sql servername.  Don't edit anything else, as you will still may need to go to core/config, but that will at least prevent it from attempting to contact the production database.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

7 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Steps look good to me.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

How exactly are you cloning it?  The safest way is to take a backup copy of your db and put it in your test environment sql server, then restore from snapshot to a new server with different ip and host name.  That way there is no way it would point to your production db and the agents would have no knowledge of it once it is up and running.  One thing, be sure to remove any agent handlers once you get it restored under configuration, agent handlers in epo console.  Also be sure to remove any distributed repositories you may have so there is no accidental replication to those from your test environment.  If repositories are superagents, the easiest way to remove them is to delete the system from the system tree since they won't be active in that environment to get a policy change.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Sohel
Level 9
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information.

I thought once I bring up the cloned server, I can then delete all the agents/Super Agent, as far they are just an entry w/no communication to ePO (cloned), right?

In that case, do I still need to run below?

"restore from snapshot to a new server" 

Thanks

Highlighted
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

I ask again, exactly how are you cloning it - a vm clone and then opening the vm somewhere else?  The first time you bring it up, it will try to connect to the production db, which is not an ideal situation.  I would highly recommend rather to use the restore from snapshot method so there is no way possible for it to attempt to connect to the production database.  You don't want to cause any corruption or change any serverinfo in the database tables by that connection attempt.

Was my reply helpful?

Sohel
Level 9
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

(sorry for my late response)..... yes it will be cloned from a vm to a vm, and then opening the cloned vm with a different ip/name.

I'm taking a backup copy of the production database, then configure db settings in cloned server so it points to the backup database and then start the cloned server.

You mentioned restore, where do I run the restore process? can you please elaborate.

Thanks!

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

A restore process would be totally different from what you are doing.  A restore would be what is shown in the install guide as snapshot recovery.  As long as your restored vm won't have access to the production database when it is brought up for the first time, you should be fine.  Otherwise you can disable epo services temporarily just before you clone the vm so that when you turn on the new vm for the first time, epo won't try to connect to the production database.  Then you can edit the db.properties file to point to the new sql servername.  Don't edit anything else, as you will still may need to go to core/config, but that will at least prevent it from attempting to contact the production database.

Was my reply helpful?

Sohel
Level 9
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

thanks.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center