cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client tasks will not run

Jump to solution

Hello, everyone. I am new to the McAfee ePO and I am trying to get it working within my organization. I work in a facility that does not have an internet connection due to classified material so we operate on our own network. However, I am running into an issue with McAfee.

I have synchronized the ePO with LDAP and have populated the System Tree. However, I am unable to run any client tasks on any of the systems. Let me give an example:

Say I have an unmanaged system in the System Tree. I have already previously created a client task to deploy the McAfee Agent onto the system. I will click the system>Actions>Agent>Modify Tasks on a Single System>New Client Task Assignment>Assign that previously created task to be run immediately>Save

When I do that, nothing happens. I do not get an error or anything. It is almost like the task just is not recognized and will not run because nothing happens when I click save and the task is supposed to run immediately.

I have successfully deployed the agent by manually deploying it by clicking on a system>Actions>Agent>Deploy Agents. That works correctly, but I want to be able to do this through client tasks. If I install the agent with that manual process, I cannot install Virus Scan Enterprise as well, but that is another issue. For now, I would like to be able to simply run client tasks.

Also, as I said before, I am not very knowledgeable with the ePO and with logs so if you mention logs, please tell me where to find them because I probable will not know. I will try to provide any information that you may need to help answer the question.

Thank you all again!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 8 of 13

Re: Client tasks will not run

Jump to solution

That is patch 11 for VSE.  Please refer to KB51111, supported environments for VSE.  That OS requires patch 12 or later, so you are using an unsupported version on that OS.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

12 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

An agent has to be managed in order to get any assigned client tasks.  So the only option is to use the deploy agent.  Once the agent is installed and communicating, then you can use a client deployment task to deploy VirusScan or ENS, or any other products. 

To automate things, however, for unmanaged systems, there is a way you can do that.  Create a new query (queries and reporting, new query).  Choose managed systems, then result as table type.  When you get to the column selection, you only need system name.  Then under filtering, choose managed state = unmanaged.  Save the query, then go to server tasks.  Create a new server task and name it whatever you want, then for actions, run query and choose the query you created.  As a secondary action, choose deploy agent and enter your credentials.  You can then schedule it to run as often as you want.  The time it runs and success or failure will also depend on ability for epo to reach that system at a time that it is online and accessible.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Okay, I deployed the agent first and then assigned a client task to a single system. The client task I assigned is for the deployment of VSE. I assigned it to the computer and chose "Run immediately". When I click on the McAfee shield icon on the toolbar, however, the options that I see are Update Security, View Security Status, McAfee Agent Status Monitor. The options that usually come with the installation of VSE such as scanning are not there.

When I click the McAfee Agent Status Monitor I can see logs such as "Scheduler: Invoking task [Deploy VirusScan Enterprise]", "Downloading setupvse.exe", and "The task Deploy VirusScan Enterprise is successful". There are other events between these, but these seemed the most important to me. However, there is nothing indicating that I have it installed on the computer. It is as if it ran, but nothing resulted from it.

Do I have to do something else to get it to push successfully to this computer?  

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

In the system tray icon, when you right-click on it, do you see manage features as one of the options?  If you go to "about" on the icon, does it show VSE as installed?  If you click collect and send props and/or enforce policies, does it show enforcing policies for VSE?

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

No to all of those. There is no reference to VSE anywhere. There is no manage features option and the "about" option does not list VSE. Collecting and sending props/enforcing policies also does not mention VSE. The only time I have seen VSE in that list of events is when I ran the client task to install VSE. When I ran that client task, I did see some VSE files downloading, but as I mentioned before, nothing resulted from it.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

What exact build of operating system?  What agent version?  What patch level of VSE are you pushing out? 

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

Windows 10 version 1809.

McAfee Agent version 5.5.0 (minor version 447)

VSE version 8.8.0 (minor version 1982)

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

That is patch 11 for VSE.  Please refer to KB51111, supported environments for VSE.  That OS requires patch 12 or later, so you are using an unsupported version on that OS.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I updated VSE in the Master Repository to VSE version 8.8.0 with minor version now to 2114. Despite this, however, I still cannot get VSE successfully installed on the computer. I try going to the specific computer in the ePO (the agent is already installed) and going to Actions>Run Client Task Now. I run the specific task, but still get no result. Again, I can see events happening such as "Downloading VSE880Det.McS" and "Scheduler: Task [Deploy VirusScan Enterprise] is finished", but there is no result.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

In the windows\temp\mcafeelogs folder, are there any install logs for VSE?  When you checked in patch 13, did you check in the full install with p13, or just the patch?  Does the deployment task actually show the 2114 build or the lower?

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community