cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check In vs Install

Hi,

Couple of concerns as I have recently begun to use Software Manager a little.

1) In the past, there was a clear distinction between 'check-in' (repository) and 'install' (extension).  I found this to be helpful in change controlled environments as the former is really non-invasive (dependent on current branch contents, and associated client tasks etc), whilst the latter was an invasive process - a 'proper' install which warranted more careful change control (and in some cases a backup of ePO and DB in advance - ie HIPS).  With Software Manager, everything is now labelled 'Check in'.  I think it would be prudent to update the documentation to advise that extension updates are installs - I have seen a number of instances where extension updates that were believed to have been innocuous have caused issues.  This one is just my 2p.

2) It would appear that a lot of documentation is simply doing down the 'use Software Manager and select check-in-all' option.  That didnt work for me recently with ENS, and the system appeared to be broken (case ref 4-18615264655 for any McAfee peeps), however the bundle option did work perfectly fine - is the bundle option relatively new and is this the path that McAfee are looking to go down?  Main reason I am asking is I have seen some very inconsisent results with the Software Manager and download sites recently, and I would prefer to know which is the most stable route if we need to plan formal changes in advance.

Many thanks,

5 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Check In vs Install

Documentation and any other recommendations can be posted under the ideas forum (see kb66021).  As for bundles being the new norm, that depends on the products.  One of the purposes of bundles was to ensure the extensions/packages were checked in with the correct order of things, as some products are particular about that, others are not.  And, it also insures that some packages/extensions are not missed.  So that will all depend on the product.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Cheers cdinet,

That KB (60021) indicates that the ideas forum is to be used for products ideas rather than highlighting either product issues or documentation defects.  Is this the formal was to proceed now to raise documentation defects?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

That is the only forum for any suggestions, so yes, I would use that also for documentation suggestions.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee cookand
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Hello,

So on the first part of your post, cdinet's response is the most accurate way to see a change done. I would advise to follow those instructions to implement your thoughts/concerns. On the second half, a good way to look at this would be a "courtesy". The software manager is provided in that sence so that you don't have to manually grab the files from the download site (lots of our customers wanted everything local to the ePO GUI). Obviously you can pick whichever flavor you would like for your company and implement that moving forward.

In my personal environment the only method I use for pkg's/ext's is the manual download from the downloads site. I prefer to have a local copy on my ePO server, so that if something does go array I don't have to worry about re-downloading anything, it's already local. An advantage to the manual download from the download site is that as soon as a build goes live (RTW) it is available there (you can get those alerts being subscribed to the SNS notices). Whereas in certain scenario's a customer's software manager may not replicate that update to the environment immediately. Like cdinet stated, some of the product rely on other pkg's/ext's to be implemented first or an order in which you have to do so. So if you're not fully aware of the manner in which everything needs to be "checked in/installed" I would suggest the bundled packages.  

All in all it is going to be up to you on how you want to implement this moving forward. Hopefully this will help answer some questions that you may have had. Let me know if you have any other concerns and I will do my best to get back to you in a timely fashion.

-Andrew

Hi cookand,

Thanks for the reply.  I also prefer the manual method (and mainly for the reason you note 🙂 ), however I have noted that the software download site does not always appear to be kept as up to date as the software manager for some reason.  I was not certain that there wasnt a 'push' from McAfee for people to use the latter.

Also on the download site it is not always clear which specific package to download (documentation used to refer to naming conventions and it was always easy) - it can be figured out, but can be a frustrating waste of time.

Anyhoo - onwards and upwards.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community