cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access ePO 5.9, database error

Jump to solution

Hello

I am trying to start my ePO 5.9.0 console, and I get the error message "Unable to connect to the database. Try again. If the issue reoccurs, notify your product administrator to navigate to {0} on the application server system and verify the database connection settings." I have researched this and found I needed to do the following:

b.Right-click the following services and select Restart:

McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator x.x.x Application Server
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator x.x.x Server
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator x.x.x Event Parser

Which I have done. I also try to do https://:8443/core/config, but this just gets me the message "This page can only be accessed from a local connection", even though I was doing it on a local browser.

None of this has solved the problem. I also would like to change the name of the Local Account that the services are using. Which services, including the SQL ones would I need to change, and does the account only need Administrator privileges? I have not changed any accounts as of yet. 

I have since gone through the log for the ePO and found the problem appears to be the login account for the application/server. That account is now locked. How do I change that account, and what other accounts must be changed?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot access ePO 5.9, database error

Jump to solution

The solution was to make a manual change in the orion db properties file:

#Wed Jul 03 10:03:29 EDT 2019
db.database.name=database_Name
db.jdbc.driver=jtds
db.param.ssl=request
db.param.USENTLMV2=true
db.instance.name=MSSQLSERVER
db.user.domain=
db.user.name=username
db.port=1433
db.pool.exhausted.action=grow
db.server.name=servername
db.user.passwd=password

This fixed the problem.

I owe a great debt to Caryn Dinet and others for the solution.

Thanks to all.

View solution in original post

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 36 of 36

Jump to solution

Just go to core/config in the console as if you were changing credentials and remove the instance name, test connection, save and restart services.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

35 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 36

Jump to solution

If accessing \core\config page fails with server name then you can try accessing it with localhost (https://localhost:8443/core/config). If this loads then we can correct user account/password etc, do 'test connection', Apply, restart ePO services.

If \core\config doesn't load then please make the changes in db.properties files as per #: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB69850

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 36

Jump to solution

By any chance it TLS 1.0 is disabled then suggest to follow #: 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB89317

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

I put the new user name and password in the configure database settings, but when i do a test I get the message "Login failed. Login is from untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication". But the login is from my domain and works. Any ideas?

I have tried several different know good names in the user box, with the correct password, and nothing is working.

McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 36

Jump to solution

I can think of trust between domains. The best in such case, I suggest to use SQL authentication. 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB70722

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51465

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

When I setup ePO, SQL was automatically loaded, without creating an 'sa' account. I don't suppose there is a default password for that?

McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 36

Jump to solution

Correct.. Either we can set or can create new  SQL user.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Well I cannot get into the SQL database. I have also rejoined the server that ePO is on to the domain, but the Configure Database Settings, with the new user and password, still will not test correctly. if I were to do an upgrade to 5.10, do you think that might solve the problem? Or is there something inside ePO that can be re-pointed to the domain? Everything else about the server can see the domain and is having no issues, just ePO.

McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 36

Jump to solution

Hi skeating,

An upgrade will not help in this, as an upgrade can only use the details the ePO install you already have, has to offer.
As the information related to the SQL portion of the server do not work the upgrade will fail as it tries to use the same 'incorrect' details to gain access to SQL.

Regarding the current installation, perform an ePO services restart .  Then you can have a look at the SQLERROR log (on SQL), and the ePO Orion.log at the start up time to see what they report.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Do I need to restart all ePO services, or just a particular one?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community