Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkazi
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Can't run a manual scan for a specific PC from EPO 5.9.1

The way i'm doing it is : 

Click on the PC -> actions -> agent -> run client task now -> endpoint security threat prevention -> policy based on demand scan -> on demand scan-quick scan

but every time the task is failing. I don't know what am i doing wrong or is there any other way to run the scan.

please help.

McAfee Endpoint Security McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 

9 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can't run a manual scan for a specific PC from EPO 5.9.1

Run client task now depends on the task being online at the time you sent it and the client receiving it.  You can check the masvc log on the client (c:\programdata\mcafee\agent\logs) to see if it got the task and tried to invoke it.  If the system is infected, make sure ens is functional to even be able to run the task.  You can also try to set up an assigned client task or run it locally to see if it is able to run one.  The logs are what to look at for the epo task failure.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

mkazi
Level 9
Message 3 of 10

-Yes, looks like the client got the task and tried to invoke it but after that it says the task has failed.
-I was able to run the scan locally.
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Hi @mkazi,

Thank you for your post.

Couple of things to look into here, When does the task fail? Instantly? If it fails instantly, Can you let me know if you are successful in running a "Run client Task Now" for Custom On Demand Scan instead of Policy based ON Demand Scan?

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
mkazi
Level 9
Message 5 of 10

@AdithyanT ,
yes, it just fails instantly. It also failed to run the Custom on demand scan.

see the attachment. 

ClientTaskFailed.JPG

McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Hi @mkazi,

Thank you for your response. Can you look into the masvc log and share us only the excerpt where the task starts and ends (It is expected to be much shorter as it instantly fails!).

Also please let us know the result of a wake up agent or a product update task that you perform using "Run Client Task Now" option.

Log file location: C:\Programdata\McAfee\Agent\Logs

Also, Can you check mfemactl log has recorded any information during this time?

Please remember to sanitize and sensitive information while sharing logs/log excerpts.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
mkazi
Level 9
Message 7 of 10

@AdithyanT ,

- I was able to run wake up agent successfully.

-masvc log attached.

ClientTaskFailed.JPG

McAfee Employee LKS
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Unfortunately the given screenshot does not have much information to tell you what could be the cause. First we need to isolate the issue whether it is an Agent or ENS issue.

I think so enabling Agent debug also does not tell you why it is failed. Agent just receive the Task from ePO and PP (point product) will initiate the task. I would also recommend you to check On-DemandScan Activity and On-DemandScan Debug log under "C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Logs". Check if the task tries to invoke on the client machine. 

Again sometimes it is possible that the Agent will stop/terminate the task by Scheduler.  We would require Masvc and above mentioned logs to check further.

What is the Agent and ENS version are you using.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

McAfee Employee LKS
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 10

Adding to this, enable Agent debug and ENS debug, reproduce the issue. Please sanitize the logs before you upload. 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB82170

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB91797

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
mkazi
Level 9
Message 10 of 10

Agent version : 5.5.1.342
ENS version : 10.6.1.1638
I'll take a look into the logs and let you know.
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community