Message 1 of 8

Can't push VSE

Jump to solution

Environment:

ePO 5.9.1

Agent 5.6.1

VSE 8.8 Patch 13

SolidCore 6.2

This particular machine was showing an out of date VSE and no amount of updating seemed to help.  I eventually uninstalled it from the command line, and it still wouldn't install.  There were some errors in the agent logs with communication to ePO, so I removed and did a fresh install of FrmPackage.exe.  That seems to have cleared up the communication issues, and I can now reliably look at the client logs in ePO, something I couldn't do before.

However, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, VSE won't install.  Pushing it from ePO seems to be successful when I run the client task.  Even checking the McScript.log file, shows it running the script and updating successfully.  I've double checked, and there are no policy exceptions for this machine/group.  No tags that would affect VSE.

I moved SolidCore into Observe mode to make sure it wasn't the issue, but I'm still not having any luck with this one machine.  Any suggestions, or places to look to find other potential log messages?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 8

Re: Can't push VSE

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, that can be common.  When a product is uninstalled and it doesn't uninstall everything properly and there are any syscore and other drivers and remnants left behind, that will fail a reinstall.  The easiest solution in that case is wipe it all out, reboot and start fresh.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

7 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

You can go through this, but honestly, if VSE didn't uninstall properly, then there may be some syscore or other remnants left behind. 

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator/HOW-TO-TROUBLESHOOT-CLIENT-UPDATE-DEPLOYMENT-FA...

That can cause any future reinstall attempts to fail.  You can download the endpoint removal tool from the download site and use it to remove any leftover remnants, then reboot.  But basically you need to be sure that it removes any syscore drivers - in c:\program files\common files\mcafee, you might see some syscore data still there, as well as some mfe* drivers in system32\drivers folder.  If there are any solidcore drivers there also, it might be best to just remove all mcafee entirely, then reinstall after a reboot.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @akerr,

Thank you for posting your query in Community! I would recommend moving this to VSE forum if you can confirm that this is not a deployment issue from ePO but an installation issue.

Have you tried installing the VSE software locally(standalone installation will automatically get managed if Agent installed is already reporting to ePO)?

May I know if you see any logs populated under C:\Windows\Temp\McAfeeLogs\? Can you share a screenshot of what you see there(please sort it by Date modified to view the latest log files)?

This should give us a good start for our investigation.

Please let us know what you find!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Reliable Contributor akerr
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

I tried running the removal tool and removed all products.  I then installed FramePkg and confirmed it was communicating with ePO.

I have not tried a manual installation of VSE, I guess that will likely be my next step unless you have other suggestions.

Also, I'm not sure if I can move it to the VSE section, but that is probably the more appropriate location since it doesn't seem to be specifically an issue with ePO. more with VSE installing on that specific machine.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

If it installs locally, but fails to install when pushed from epo, that is an agent/epo/repository issue most likely.  If it fails to install locally, get with vse team.

Was my reply helpful?

Reliable Contributor akerr
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the help.  Another ePO admin did a push from ePO and this time it worked, so I'm guessing it was actually the full removal of all products and the reinstall of the agent that actually fixed the problem.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, that can be common.  When a product is uninstalled and it doesn't uninstall everything properly and there are any syscore and other drivers and remnants left behind, that will fail a reinstall.  The easiest solution in that case is wipe it all out, reboot and start fresh.

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @akerr,

Thanks for letting us know what helped! You have indirectly helped other community members who may be looking for an answer for a similar question. Kudos to the same!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community