cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't give "load systems by file" permission to user

We have a server task that uses the "Load systems by file" that was created by an administrator. I'm trying to create a permission set for our HD users that could run this task but I'm not being successful. Which permission has to be set in this permission set for this to work?
7 Replies
Hawkmoon McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can't give "load systems by file" permission to user

Hi User81560258,

The rights you define will be dictated by the nature of the action you perform.

That said you may find you have to grant more rights to your 'help desk' (HD) team than you would like to.
Do check with your security group as needed.

In a test I ran to look at this for you I created a task to collect and save a report to a location on the server.
I did this as the main ePO 'admin' user and then ran it to ensure it completed and the data it created in the report was what I expected.

Then I created a new user, and gave them 'group reviewer' rights.

I then accessed the server tasks page and filtered on the Task I created, and noted that as this new user I could only 'view' the task and take no action with it.(as I expected)

Then I logged out and back in as the ePO admin, and accessed the 'permissions sets' page, and selected the 'group reviewer' item. (Left side frame) In here I ONLY modified the entry titled "Server tasks", clicked 'edit' and set the option "Create, edit, view, run, and end Scheduler tasks; view Scheduler tasks results in the Server Task Log"

I logged out and back in as the test user, and once again viewed the server tasks and selected the task I created.

I still had no rights to run the task (as I expected), and clicked the provided 'view' option. At the bottom of this page it did offer me as to why I had no access to do so, here it reported:

'This task can't be executed or edited for these reasons. 

• The user was not authorized to run the command "Run Query"

Once again I logged out and logged in as the ePO admin and accessed the permission set I was using and modified the entry named: 'system tree access' and (as was the need for my task) selected the 'my organization' level for the system tree.

Logged out and back in again as the test user and now I can run the task!

I ran that task and the data reported was compared to the results from when I ran the same task as the ePO 'admin' user, the data was a match!

As I mentioned above you may find you will have to repeat this operation a few times to set the correct 'rights' (permissions) to run your task, and as mentioned before do be careful with the rights you grant, as you may give the HD team more access to the estate than you would like!

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hi,

We have a server task with Load systems by file option but we are not able to run that task from other admin accounts in ePO. And we are getting below error, can someone confirm what exactly needs to be enabled in the associated permission set to have this access.

The user was not authorized to run the command "Load Systems by File"

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Let me do some testing, but it may require global admin rights.  I will get back with you.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hi,

Could you please update if you get a chance to test this.

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Sorry, got distracted by other urgent issues.  Let me test that right now.

Was my reply helpful?

cdinet McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Ok, this is going to require global admin rights.  There is no explicit permission that I can find that gives that right.

The user was not authorized to run the command "Load Systems by File"

Was my reply helpful?

Thank you very much.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community