cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMA 3.6 - bad username reported

First 8.5.0 patch3 using windows Vista is installed in our environment. Smiley Happy
We have implemented mostly version 8.0 patch 15, few with patch 11 and 5 or 6 machines still on 7.1.0. EPO 3.5 patch7. CMA 3.6.

I’ve noted that the user name is no longer reported in 8.5.0, only the user "system" sad .. is this a bug or a feature?

Tks in advance.
7 Replies
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

RE: CMA 3.6 - bad username reported

Do you mean in EPo on patch 3 workstations when you check the system properties it says system in the username field??

This shows correctly as the last username on all my patch 3 test machines which are XP this is probably a vista quirk

We dont have 8.5i installed on any XP.
Yes, in username field, it shows 'System' :confused: and not the 'real' user on that machine. This is a very useful information for us... :rolleyes:
twenden
Level 13
Message 4 of 8

There is a knowledge base article (number 612594) that talks about the problem that you are seeing:

System Information for Vista 64-bit computers, reports as SYSTEM and not user Name

Environment McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 3.6.x
McAfee Common Management Agent 3.6.0
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

Problem

At the ePO Console under the computers System Information section the User Name property is reported as SYSTEM

This issue is only seen on managed Microsoft Vista 64-bit computers

Change or Cause

On Windows Vista computers the location in the registry where the User Name is stored is restricted. An alternative method of obtaining the data from the Microsoft Vista 64-bit computer results only in obtaining SYSTEM and not the user name.

Solution

At this point in time the McAfee Common Management Agent 3.6.0 is unable to obtain from the Windows Vista 64-bit computer the User Name until a new or modified Windows Vista API (Application Programming Interface) is available.

This issue is documented under Known Issues (item 3) in the McAfee Common Management Agent 3.6.0 Release Notes, see 651488.

The McAfee Common Management Agent 3.6.0 Release Notes, see 651488 have the following info under the "known issues" section:

For managed Windows XP 64-bit and Windows Vista systems, the system information User Name property is not reported in ePolicy Orchestrator. For these operating systems, the User Name displays "SYSTEM."

Exactly. Nice find.

Just .. this is EPO 3.5 patch 7 and Vista OS is 32 bits not 64.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 6 of 8

CMA 3.5 is not supported on vista

Quote: VSE 8.0i and CMA 3.5.x is NOT supported on computers running a Windows Vista operating system. VSE 8.5i and CMA 3.6.0 (or higher) IS supported on computers running Windows Vista.

Support index:
https://knowledge.mcafee.com/SupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=614054&sliceI...

see link, table pasted badly into original post

So you should be running 3.6 agent anyway

Our CMA is 3.6

Nice tables.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 8 of 8

Its the CMA 3.6 in twendens post that cant pull the registry string so I assume the same applies for the 32 bit as for 64