Re: Block Firefox

Can you please try these steps and let me know if this resolves the issue

Click on Threat Prevention
Click on Show advanced
Scroll down to Rules section
Click on ADD Rule
Provide a name to the rule
Select the action as Block
Add the executable which you want to block (in your case Firefox.exe)
Provide other details
Save
Save
Click on Apply

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

I tried this before and it didn't work, though I had Block and Report ticked (Changed to just Block now) and I had *.firefox.exe in the executables area (changed to just firefox.exe now)

Though I don't know what 'Inclusion Status' means - Include or Exclude? I have it as Include

In the Subrules (which it says I have to complete) I have everything ticked except Delete under Operations, and under Targets I have Include, File Path and *.firefox.exe.

McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 13 of 24

Hi @idsanalysts 

Thank you for your response. I think we have the solution now! 

@idsanalysts wrote:

In the Subrules (which it says I have to complete) I have everything ticked except Delete under Operations, and under Targets I have Include, File Path and *.firefox.exe.

Under sub-rules --> targets I would recommend adding wildcard  "*"instead of mentioning the path of Firefox.exe.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 24

Hi @idsanalysts 

I sincerely hope this resolves your query. However,in case you are interested in knowing how exactly that works, I have explained that in detail over here if you have time to read through it. Also, Include would be the right choice. You have got that right! Please let me know if it is still not working.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Hi,

I still can't get this to work.

I've tried the Access Protection policy with *Firefox* and the Options policy using the PUP and neither seem to work.

:  ?

McAfee Employee
Message 16 of 24

Hi @idsanalysts 

Thank you for your response. May I please request you to share with us a screenshot of the policy you have created?

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

McAfee Employee
Message 18 of 24

Hi @idsanalysts ,

Let us begin with the pic: Options Policy.jpg.

1. Here, please remove the name Firefox from Exclusion by Detection name.
  2. Under potentially Unwanted Program Detections, Please add the File name as Firefox.exe.
  3. Now Kindly please save the policy.

Let me know how this goes! ( More responses follow for other policy screengrabs as well!)

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
McAfee Employee
Message 19 of 24

Hi @idsanalysts,

Now Let us look into On Access 1.JPG and On Access 2.JPG

1. This one looks like the Access Protection Policy (I am sure this does not belong to On Access Policy!)
  2. The File Name or Path mentioned needs to be changed to Firefox.exe

Checking further...

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community