Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Best way to move McAfee ePO 5.9.1 to another server with new Operating System

Jump to solution

We have ePO 5.9.1 running on Windows 2008R2. We want to move this to a newer server running either Windows 2012R2 or Windows 2016.

I had previously tested creating a new server with Windows 2012, installing SQL server and then restoring the current ePO database. Then during the install of ePO, I selected the option to restore from a database recovery. This seemed to work.

Just want to know if this is the best approach. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
PhilR
Level 12
Message 2 of 7

Re: Best way to move McAfee ePO 5.9.1 to another server with new Operating System

Jump to solution

I'd have used the migration tool which comes with ePO

View solution in original post

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Re: Best way to move McAfee ePO 5.9.1 to another server with new Operating System

Jump to solution

Yes, that is the recommended option.  The migration utility mentioned is for moving to another server and upgrading at the same time, but for same version migrations, you have to follow the procedure you did.  Glad it was successful!

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

6 Replies
Highlighted
PhilR
Level 12
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

I'd have used the migration tool which comes with ePO

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Yes, that is the recommended option.  The migration utility mentioned is for moving to another server and upgrading at the same time, but for same version migrations, you have to follow the procedure you did.  Glad it was successful!

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

HI, i need to do this too. 

I was wondering do you need to re-check in all your software again or is that covered when you restore and did you shutdown your existing server and rename your box to the old one or update your DNS and did you have any issues whichever you chose?

I'm on ePO 5.9.1 W2008R2 + SQL 2008R2  -planning on going to --> W2016 + SQL 2014

(I'm assuming i can do an inplace upgaade of SQL 2008--> 2014 before i setup the new server 🤔)

thanks

Jane

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

When you do a restore from snapshot, you don't have to re-check in any software or extensions.  That is all in the snapshot.  Just be sure you are aware of the recovery passphrase.  If not, reset it in server settings, disaster recovery, then run another snapshot recovery task in epo.  When that completes, then take another backup of the database.  However, make sure to go through kb71825 and use the pre-installation auditor tool on the new epo and sql servers to ensure they are able to support epo with the right ciphers and protocols.  It is also good to clean up your old epo directories with getting rid of old logs and things that don't need to be migrated - especially debug events.

It is best if you can take down old server and rename new to the old to keep consistency with communication and not have to do any dns redirects or aliases.  The install guide for epo walks through a recovery.  As long as the OS and SQL versions are supported (kb51569), you should be fine - just make sure sql doesn't need any additional patches to support tls 1.2.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

thanks for all that info 👍

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

By the way, for the benefit of anyone reading this post, the epo migration utility was meant only for ePO 4.6 migrations to 5.x.  It is not to be used to for 5.x to a higher 5.x.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community