cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for criteria based tagging

I've noticed that criteria based tagging in ePO is "flaky". We have assigned policies based on tags (because assigning to groups is sometimes not possible). Sometimes the tagging doesn't behave as expected, causing outages to our services because policies, etc are not assigned correctly. Aside from the obvious issues with manual tagging (the tagging is removed if anything happens to the system entry in ePO). I've seen a lot of issues with criteria based tagging as well, such as KB91232, which we were impacted by. Is there a best practice guide available for criteria based tagging? A best do / or don't do guide? I'd love to go forward and start replacing our manually tagged systems with criteria based ones, but I don't want to risk systems getting tagged incorrectly.
1 Reply
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Best practices for criteria based tagging

Are you on 5.10?  Epo 5.9.1 had an issue - KB89428.   5.10 also has an issue that will be fixed in CU5 (mid Nov GA release, but is available now RTS via service request).  KB91808.  

General best practices are to keep the criteria simple - the more criteria that is listed in a tag, it can take more time for evaluation of each of the criteria.  

Test the criteria to ensure it applies to the systems you want it to apply to.  Sometimes, adding a custom props value in the agent to systems to identify them better can be more efficient - you can tag off of that value.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish.  The more tags you have, the more maintenance it can be for an epo admin to keep up with them all.  Keep it simple is one of the best rules to follow in many areas of epo - less maintenance and ways for things to go wrong.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community