Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
netik
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Best practice? Moving ePO 4.6 from one server to another

Hello

We are planing to move our ePO server from an old windows 2003 server (32 bit) to a new, virtual 2008 r2 (x64) machine.

It seems that there are different methods available to perform this migration and I'm not sure which one to choose.

a) Backing up the database, programm directories and restore everything on the new server, which must have the same hostname as the old one.

b) Install the new one server, export and import all the required policies, systems, and so on.

Right now, we used the subnet-mask to group the clients in ePO, however, we would like to use AD-Sync in future. Is it possible to perform migration b) and instead of exporting the clients, we just import them from the AD?

What is the official way to do such a migration?

Thanks a lot and kind regards

Kevin

5 Replies
Highlighted
notime
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: Best practice? Moving ePO 4.6 from one server to another

on my way  i will do the follwing :

1- install new ePO server full configration with new DB

2- export all the polices then import them to the new server

3- run AD-Sync to add all the systems

4-keep the old ePO server running for a while to be sure every thing working fine or if i need any thing from old DB

dont forget to open all McAfee port for the new ePO

aslo you can refer to official way :

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB75841&actp=LIST

netik
Not applicable
Message 3 of 6

Thanks a lot! That makes sense.

About 4), when I set up the new server and imported all the systems...they will still not communicate with the new server, right? Until I turn of the old one and give the new one the hostname of the old one, right?

Tristan
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

As part of step 2 you'll also need to export the security keys from the old server to the new server (ePO can support multiple security keys)

Menu -> Configuration - Server Settings -> Security Keys

Once they've been imported all agents from the old sever will successfully communicate to the new server once transferred over.

netik
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6

Thanks Tristan. With "once transferred over", you mean, when I synchronize the clients/agents with AD? I don't have use the "transfer agent" option from the old epo server to the new one, in order to tell them, to use the new server from now on, right?

Sorry, I'm really having problems understanding, how this works...how the clients know, which server they have to communicate with.

edwjaclim
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.