cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amcmag
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Best method to move EPO 4.5 to new server with new name?

Hi all

We are presently running EPO 4.5 and I need to move it / reinstall onto a new server with a new hostname.  The KB articles I have found are not clear and do not describe our particular scenario.

Our database is hosted on a separate SQL2005 server which will not be touched.

All advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Message was edited by: amcmag on 26/10/10 10:09:30 AM
7 Replies

Re: Best method to move EPO 4.5 to new server with new name?

Hello

Install new ePO server with new name and database instance e.g newserver.localhost and Plug into your network.  Create system tree workgroup or AD its depends on your company requirement. Then Create new DNS entry in you DNS server where all clients resolving host name. Create Old hostname where ePO installed e.g oldserver.localhost and put new ip addresses. ones client route via dns to new server it will take new server policy and register to new server.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 8

abakali wrote:

Hello

Install new ePO server with new name and database instance e.g newserver.localhost and Plug into your network.  Create system tree workgroup or AD its depends on your company requirement. Then Create new DNS entry in you DNS server where all clients resolving host name. Create Old hostname where ePO installed e.g oldserver.localhost and put new ip addresses. ones client route via dns to new server it will take new server policy and register to new server.

Er - that flat-out won't work. It would have done in ePO 3.6, but not in ePO 4 (which requires you to have the matching agent/server keypair) or 4.5 (which needs the SSL certificates regenerating as well.)

Sorry -

Joe

We can export and import key as well . Server Certificate we tested in our lab only required when you migration your ePO to new server with same hostname

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Hi...

The primary article for this kind of operation is KB 66616 , which although is intended mainly for disaster recovery, can also be used for moving from one server to another.  Have you had a look at this document? If so, and it's not applicable, can you give us some more detail regarding how it does not relate to your environment?

Thanks -

Joe

amcmag
Level 7
Message 6 of 8

Hi Joe, and thanks for responding.  I did find the article KB66616 and its reference to KB66620 for steps on how to handle a server rename.  I guess I was hoping that there was a simpler migration option.    If the best method is that described in the two KB articles, then I guess I'll follow that.  If you have any pointers, likely gotchas or further advice to add, would love to have it.  Cheers, Michelle

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Unfortunately moving servers is not a simple process

I'm not aware of any particular gotchas that aren't in the docs, but I'm sure there are other posters here who have done this who may have some comments

HTH -

Joe

Very true . I faced majority issue related with Server Keys , SSL, XML configuration, Database connection and Extension missing.