cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice to upgrade 8.7i to 8.8

Hi guys,

we have both version of mcafee 8.7 and 8.8. Mostly all our windows xp has the 8.7 version and the windows 7 have all 8.8 version.

whats is the best practice to upgrade the xp 8.7 client  to 8.8 version? Using the epo?

Thank you for your support!

6 Replies

Re: Best Practice to upgrade 8.7i to 8.8

ePo deploy is the best you can do ! smoothly and painless, don t forget to install 8.8 extensions!

happy migration.

HS.-

Thank you herman,

is there an existing guide for this operation?

Thank you,

tao
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 7

Take a look at the following.  Great Source of Info, from how to install to setting up best practices for VSE scanning:

FAQs for VirusScan Enterprise 8.x KB71642

Now look under Installation/How do I install VSE via ePolicy Orchestrator?

Click on PD22944 (VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 Installation Guide)

inachu
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

Mcafee truly needs to make a batch file or a executable to remove 8.7i if the files have been corrupt in some fashion form or another.

So far its been hit or miss uninstalling and the entire process takes over 2 hours to remove every single hidden bit from the registry.     The instructions to do a manual remove is for those who have time and love to TINKER with their system but when you have over 200 computers then trying to do manual uninstall or the addremove keep complaining that another uninstall is in process.

If this is the modus operandi of Mcafee enterprise version 9i  in the future then I'll reccomend we switch to a diffferent antivirus soultion.    At this point and time it is a real time killer.

Please Mcafee.  Create a Mcafee stripper as you have done to the retail consumer class product line of software.

Treating enterprise class support like this is not right AT ALL.

inachu
Level 7
Message 6 of 7

Nope.  I tried that.  Does not work. at best only removed HIPS

On original topic, it is best to deploy through ePO.  You would of course check in the extension for 8.8 into ePO to be able to set up policies (which if you've got it deployed already, then you probably have)....then check in the VSE 8.8 product into the master respository....then create a deployment task to push out the product.  If a client already has 8.8 and runs the deployment task, it will skip the install.

You might also check out the VSE 8.8 best practices guide

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/22000/PD22940/en_US/...

The 8.8 guide describes best practices for policies, but doesn't describe checking in the product (etc.), but the 8.7 best practices guide does (and should apply in that respect).

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/22000/PD22663/en_US/...