cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Virus Removal

Hi All,

Running ePO 4.0 with Virusscan 8.5i and 8.7i on laptops and workstations. If a virus is found on devices is there a best practice to removing the virus if the initial alert cannot delete the virus. Can it all be done via ePO or will it have to be manual intevention.

Regards
Reg
5 Replies
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

RE: Best Practice for Virus Removal

you can either drop the agent into a group with a full agressive scan or remote to VSE console and run a full agressive scan.

after that result it really depends on you

if I get cleans/deletes with no locks and I knowq its something that mcafee does ok i leave it at that, if its spyware and there are still issues I may remote in and run additional tools as Mcafee kinda suck for spyware/adware.

Hi Tony,

Thats for that, when you say aggressive scan you mean scan with ever option available under the scan locations.

We use spybot if we think McAfee doesn't find everything, any other recommendations which you might use.
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

I prefer malwarebytes for just scans, rarely superantispyware for RTS ( although its a resource hog) and I am kind of in love with Microsofts online live scanner ( its backed up with a really good backend encyclodpedia on what the malware does/removal)

Thanks Tony,

Never knew about about Microsoft Online Live Scanner will give it a go. Have used malwarebytes a couple of times. Will put them down as programs to use if McAfee cannot remove the virus.

Regards
Reg

Malwarebytes is a really good backup in my opinion.
I've had a few occasions where it killed things nothing else had fully managed to clear (even though detected).

Also didn't know anything about the Microsoft one, shall take a look at it.