Did you mean: 
ewas
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Best Approach-Update/Upgrade ePO server or Build a new ePO Server

Jump to solution

Hello all,

What is your opinion on ingesting a new organization into your current ePO infrastructure? I currently have an ePO system with 4k endpoints, but my organization wants to merge 2 other ePO systems.  There are combined over 1500 and I know that my current ePO server can handle them, but there are at different agent versions along with different managed software, etc.  Does anyone think that it would be best to add them to my current server vs. creating another server and merging the new policies along with any existing policies, permission sets etc.?  Has anyone had to recently do this and if so, was the upgrade path that I am discussing successful? Or would it be easier to start anew and bring everyone over slowly?  The new ePO instance would reside on the current database server as well. Currently, my ePO is at 5.9 and I would upgrade to 5.10 with the latest ENS, McAfee Agents, etc. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ewas
Level 8
Message 3 of 8

Re: Best Approach-Update/Upgrade ePO server or Build a new ePO Server

Jump to solution

Thank you. 

7 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

I see no reason to not bring all the systems into one epo server and manage them that way.  Different product versions don't matter, as extensions are backward compatible.  You just need to make sure to have the latest extensions checked in that match or are higher than the highest version of client installed.  Then you wouldn't need to manage 2 servers.  You may have to redeploy agent, but that should not be too much of a problem. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ewas
Level 8
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Thank you. 

Jump to solution

can you please share me the best practice to merge two epo..

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

The epo product guide shows how to transfer systems from one epo to another.  If there is drive encryption involved, follow PD27693.  Otherwise there is also kb79283 (support.mcafee.com)

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

ewas
Level 8
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for the followup. I have had mixed results with transferring systems-as long as the same policies are in place, especially for those that are encrypted, deploying a new agent to point them to the new server shouldn't pose a problem should it?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

You would need to ask the encryption people about that - their migration guide should answer how those are supposed to be handled.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee Hawkmoon
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi ewas,

As suggested by cdinet you should make a call to the drive encryption team.

I took a moment to have a word with them about this and was provided with the article below to help!

KB83186

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator