Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nick_B
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Benefit of Enabling the Client Task Option - Stop the task if it runs for x amount of time?

Jump to solution

Dear McAfee Community Members,

Does anyone make use of and see any benefit from enabling the client task option entitled "Stop the task if it runs for x hours and/or y minutes? For example, suppose you decide it should not take longer than 10 minutes for HIPS to deploy to a device. So you set a limit of 1 hour just to be on the safe side and give it way more than what it should need.

In my previous role as a Security Engineer at a rival company, my boss there rather liked setting this, usually to 30-60 minutes. His rationale was that if a device had not installed say, VSE after 1 hour then something was awry.

So that's how I set them up for customers.

My boss's cousin however, who also worked at the same company did not see any point of setting a threshold and recommended leaving it blank thereby allowing the task to complete in as much time as was required.

Does anyone else enable this setting?

Do you see any advantage or benefit in enabling this?

As it happens, at the customer where I am currently they are not enabling this option. Randomisation, certainly.

I look forward to your thoughts. Little snip from my ePO Lab is below, for reference.

Client Task Options - Stop task if running for x amount of time.PNG

Thanks,

Nick

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Re: Benefit of Enabling the Client Task Option - Stop the task if it runs for x amount of time?

Jump to solution

They will be when next time task runs. Scan cache will have details of last scanned files.

KB74059: Best practices for on-demand scans in Endpoint Security and VirusScan Enterprise

Enable the scan cache - The scanner maintains a cache of previously scanned files even through restarts of the computer. This setting improves performance by using the existing scan results to determine whether files need to be scanned. Clean files are added to the clean file scan cache. The next time these files are accessed, they will not be scanned unless they are no longer in the cache or have been changed since they were last scanned. Configure the scan cache using the following options:

• ENS: Configure the option Use the scan cache in the on-demand scan policy.
  • VSE: Configure the following Global Scan Settings: Enable saving scan data across reboots and Allow on-demand scans to utilize the scan cache.
Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Nick_B
Level 11
Message 5 of 5

Re: Benefit of Enabling the Client Task Option - Stop the task if it runs for x amount of time?

Jump to solution

Excellent Hem, thanks.

I was mis-reading the meaning of Stop then; in this context it's kind of really only a pause.

I'll give you a kudos and click the green button for that one 😉

4 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

From my experience, I have seen customers using this option for ODS scan task.

Assume, there is big file server contains millions of files. If you set  ODS scan (on demand scan) task. That may run for larger value. In that case, customer stops the task after X hours than allowing it to run for longer time.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Nick_B
Level 11
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Cheers Hem.

I see the benefit of having it set for an on-demand scan.

However, using your example of a file server with millions of files all of which will be scanned, if the scan stops after say, 3 hours but it is only half way through how would the remaining files be scanned?

If the task is stopped after 3 hours, then when it launches again it would have to start over from the beginning and potentially never, ever complete the scan?

McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

They will be when next time task runs. Scan cache will have details of last scanned files.

KB74059: Best practices for on-demand scans in Endpoint Security and VirusScan Enterprise

Enable the scan cache - The scanner maintains a cache of previously scanned files even through restarts of the computer. This setting improves performance by using the existing scan results to determine whether files need to be scanned. Clean files are added to the clean file scan cache. The next time these files are accessed, they will not be scanned unless they are no longer in the cache or have been changed since they were last scanned. Configure the scan cache using the following options:

• ENS: Configure the option Use the scan cache in the on-demand scan policy.
  • VSE: Configure the following Global Scan Settings: Enable saving scan data across reboots and Allow on-demand scans to utilize the scan cache.
Was my reply helpful?

Nick_B
Level 11
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Excellent Hem, thanks.

I was mis-reading the meaning of Stop then; in this context it's kind of really only a pause.

I'll give you a kudos and click the green button for that one 😉

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community