cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bakcwards compatibility of McAfee Agent 4.8 ePO extension

Jump to solution

Hi all

I just received the SNS notification about the recent vulnerability in MA extension that is resoved by installing version 4.8. It is noted that version is backwards-compatible with Agent versions 4.5 and 4.6 and my question is, is it also backwards-compatible with Agent 4.0? I know 4.0 is EOL but my customer environment still has systems running version 4.0.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Bakcwards compatibility of McAfee Agent 4.8 ePO extension

Jump to solution

Please take another look at Security Bulletin SB10043 in the McAfee Knowledge base.

It's been updated accordingly to include mention of back support for the 4.0 agent with the 4.8 extension.

8 Replies
dnf
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

I have the same concern

Highlighted

Jump to solution

MA 4.0 is EOL as you say for well over a year, MA 4.0 is unlikely therefore to have been tested against this scenario and agent upgrade would be recommended.

The only scenario where MA 4.0 is valid is with patch 4 on Windows2000 managing the Solidcore product.

(See the MA entry under: http://www.mcafee.com/us/support/support-eol-software-utilities.aspx).

If you meet that specific criteria contact McAfee support for advice.

Jump to solution

Rackroyd, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I meet that criteria. My customer still has around 150 Win2K servers so I need MA 4.0 1532 installed on them. At the same time, new SA servers will be updated to agent 4.6 to be able to use the Lazy Caching new feature. A mix of versions that makes my environment vulnerable (MA4.6 P3 extension is installed) and unable to be protected with 4.8 extension because 4.0 has probably not been tested with 4.8 extension. I will raise a SR with Support. Thanks.

Travler
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

martingracia -

Please let us know what you find out with the SR.  I've got the same situation with a handful of W2K systems and am wondering the same thing.

Thanks!

Jump to solution

Please take another look at Security Bulletin SB10043 in the McAfee Knowledge base.

It's been updated accordingly to include mention of back support for the 4.0 agent with the 4.8 extension.

Jump to solution

Final conclusion obtained from McAfee Support via SR: 4.8 extension is backwards-compatible with 4.0 as well. They have also amended the KB article J

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=SB10043

NOTE: The 4.8 Extension is backwards-compatible with MA 4.0, 4.5 and 4.6. There is no 4.7 version. A separate 4.6 hotfix is being developed for customers who are unable to upgrade to the MA 4.8 Extension.

Exactly what rackroyd mentioned.

This closes the thread for good.

Jump to solution

I am facing issue while check in the 4.8 extension in epo 4.6. we have 400 repositories and it is taking too much time, is there any issue ?

Jump to solution

Hi, I did not see any issue like the one you mention (customer environment has almost 50 repositories). However, there are collateral effects of adding MA4.8 extension on ePO 4.5 prior to patch 6.. Beware of this:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB78465

Product update tasks are the ones I have affected. They still run but they cannot be edited and you cannot create a new one. So I need to upgrade ePO as a matter of urgency now

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community