cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically install McAfee agent on a reinstalled OS

Hello everyone,

Could someone help me with this issue.

Every time when one of the computer's OS reinstalled McAfee ePO doesn't recognize it as a new computer, therefore ePO shows that computer managed and McAfee agent installed but in reality computer does't have McAfee agent, therefore no any attempts from ePO to install McAfee Agent 

Additional information:

All computers are in AD.

ePO 5.10 Update 3

3 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: Automatically install McAfee agent on a reinstalled OS

Are you running an active directory sync task to pull in new computers through AD sync?  If not, you can run a query (as a table type) to look for inactive agents based on a time frame you can specify in the filter.  Then you can set up a server task to run that query and then push agents to those systems.

When you re-image a computer, epo would have no knowledge that the agent no longer exists and any system in that state would still show managed, just inactive as in no recent communication to the system.  When you reimage a system, the problem with using Active Directory sync to pull them in, you can get duplicates, as often AD isn't cleaned up with removing old entries in AD.  A newly imaged system, even if the same system name exists, is still a new system in AD and has a different unique identifier in AD, so epo would then see it as a new system. 

If you are using AD sync, you can deploy agents as it brings them into the system tree by configuring that in the sync point in the system tree.  Then you can use the inactive agent maintenance task to remove entries that have not communicated in a while - the default is 45 days.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

I did not get your point about "A newly imaged system, even if the same system name exists, is still a new system in AD and has a different unique identifier in AD, so epo would then see it as a new system"

Yes, we are using an active directory sync task to pull in new computers through AD, however when we re-image computer ePO and if we are not delete it on ePO or move to onather OU then back ePO will never know about that computer which has been reimaged.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

So when you run the AD sync, it does not create a duplicate entry in epo?  If it is using the mac address and system name as identifier, it might not see it as a new computer.  If it is not bringing in the systems as you say, then we may have to enable some debug logging and track the import of systems.  Check also the details in the server task log to see if it skips a system or adds it (it may or may not show that detail).

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator