cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dolchy
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Are there any specific steps for decommissioning an application from ePO?

Planning to decommission McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5 from ePO 4.5. All stystems already upgraded to VSE 8.7 P4 and policied backed up. Would like to know if these steps are in the right order.

1. Remove software and patches from Master Repository

2. Remove Extensions and Help Content

3. ???

5 Replies
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: Are there any specific steps for decommissioning an application from ePO?

We can delete anyone (package/extension). It shouldn't be in the sequence.

If using ASEM then have to remove ASEM 8.5 extension first then VSE 8.5 extension.

Help extension will not create even if it's present.

Message was edited by: hem on 13/9/11 3:27:16 PM IST
Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
dolchy
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

After removing the VSE 8.5 packages and extensions from ePO, the VSE console on Windows 2008 systems no longer have the (managed) VSE 8.7 On-Demand Scan task. This is becuse this task has a dependency on the VSE 8.5 extension. To fix this, I have to setup a Tag Catalog for Windows 2008 servers and assign a new ODS task by tag and recreate all my exclusions. McAfee should have notified us about this???

McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

That's weired Dolchand. Both VSE 8.5 and 8.7 extensions are indedepent and will not interfere to each other. I reproduced it my in test lab and I don't see this problem.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee JoeBidgood
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Hem's correct - 8.7 and 8.5 tasks are dependent solely on their own extensions: 8.7 tasks certainly don't depend on the 8.5 extension. 

I'm not sure what happened here but I'm pretty sure removing the extension wasn't the cause

HTH -

Joe

dolchy
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

This may have just been a coincidence because it was noticed at the time VSE 8.5 was decommissioned.

This is a problem with Windows 2008 servers only on my production ePO environment.

I have an ePO test server with the same configuration and Windows 2008 servers are fine.

More McAfee Tools to Help You

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community