cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Applying TAG to client which name does not start with

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I would like to apply a McAfee Tag to all systems, which DNS-name does not start with "PC" or "NB".

For example:

PC123 -> no Tag

NB123 -> no Tag

123PC -> Tag

SRV123 -> Tag

If I am using "DNS Name contains pattern NB*" or "DNS Name contains pattern PC*" it works fine to filter out all clients starting with NB or PC but I need a "not" to reverse the statement.

Is there any workaround for this?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Applying TAG to client which name does not start with

Jump to solution

Hello @AdithyanT 

Thanks for the hint.

I have now a solution which works for me:
I created two tags PC and NB and apply these tags to all clients starting with PC and NB.
After this, a server task is running which checks if a client has none of these tags and applies an other tag (SRV).

The result is:
PC123 -> gets the tag PC because it starts with PC
NB123 -> gets the tag NB because it starts with NB
123PC -> gets the tag SRV from server task because it has none of these tags (PC or NB)
SRV123 -> gets the tag SRV from server task because it has none of these tags (PC or NB)

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi @AlexanderW,

Thank you for your post. I am afraid there is not direct solution, however a workaround may open interesting possibilities.  For example, if you are trying to accomplish a particular task by tagging,

PC123 -> no Tag

NB123 -> no Tag

123PC -> Tag

SRV123 -> Tag

and then from above, you would be assigning task to endpoints with the "Tag".

Instead, you can assign the same task by using "has none of these tags" and the remaining endpoints will be affected by the Task.

If you can help us with the specific task or end result you are trying to achieve using the tags, we can work around the situation accordingly.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi @AlexanderW,

One more way to work around this would be (this is again, a manual method), You can first tag the ones that with DNS name starting with PC and NB (lets say the tag name is "withDNS", and have a new tag created without any criteria (Tag "withoutDNS").

Now we can head to the System tree and create a Viewing Filter by clicking on the Custom drop down box and selecting Add..

Now, you can use the tag as a filter and use does not have tag option and add the already used tag withDNS and click on update Filter. Now the view would contain only machines that does not have the tag "withDNS" Now you can select all and using Actions --> tag --> Apply tag and select the tag "withoutDNS". This can possibly help you work around the situation. Sorry if this is a bit confusing, please feel free to let me know if you are stuck somewhere!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello @AdithyanT 

Thanks for the hint.

I have now a solution which works for me:
I created two tags PC and NB and apply these tags to all clients starting with PC and NB.
After this, a server task is running which checks if a client has none of these tags and applies an other tag (SRV).

The result is:
PC123 -> gets the tag PC because it starts with PC
NB123 -> gets the tag NB because it starts with NB
123PC -> gets the tag SRV from server task because it has none of these tags (PC or NB)
SRV123 -> gets the tag SRV from server task because it has none of these tags (PC or NB)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi @AlexanderW,
Thank you for your kind update! I am glad we could be of some assistance to you here 🙂 All the Best!

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi AlexanderW,

You can use "Does not Contain" criteria to the machines which does not start "PC" or " NB". It means machines which does not start with those name, the tag will be applied.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

tag.JPG

For some reason, image got deleted.

Highlighted

Jump to solution
Does not Contain is not working because "PC" or "NB" could be in the middle of the DNS name.
I only would like to see if PC or NB is at the beginning of the DNS name.
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Please use 'doesn't contain' under tag criteria (screenshot attached).

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Why not use "does not contain" PC and NB?  Have you tried that?  You may have to test with using an 'and' or 'or' statement in it to see which works best.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community