cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to disable the Message Bus Certificate Updater Task?

We currently do not have any 3rd party integrations with ePO and have recently noticed a large spike in failed deployments at midnight. It turns out it's the MsgBus Cert Updater task running and failing. Can this task be turned off? I looked in the Agent policies and client tasks but didn't see anything.

7 Replies
tao
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: Any way to disable the Message Bus Certificate Updater Task?

Double check your server tasks -

I don't see anything in the server tasks that might be related to either: certificate, cert, bus, or message. This is a client tasks however. I'm thinking I could remove the package from our Software Manager and that might disable the task. I might give that a shot.

tao
Level 13
Message 4 of 8

Appears to be an automatic download per the package:

"The MsgbuscertupdaterPackage.zip package will be downloaded automatically at the client nodes. This default download task is also scheduled to download the package at 12 AM (local time) every day."

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/25000/PD25735/en_US/...

johnmoe
Level 11
Message 5 of 8

Check in your Product Update client tasks, there's an option in that task to update "All Packages", or to select what packages to update; the one you're looking for is " MsgBus Cert Updater".  I have a feeling that's the one that's doing the update.

However, having said that, I'd be inclined to find out why it's failing; it could be indicative of a further problem.

Long story short, I ended up resolving. We only had the MsgBus Cert Updater (as @johnmoe mentioned) checked into the evaluation branch and it was the clients on our current branch that had the failed updates. No issue with the failed updates after checking into Current. We decided to go this route as it was the easy fix and though we don't use 3rd party products with ePO, maybe we will at some point.

I wasn't able to test my theory about removing the product from software manager and whether or not that might disable this internal task. In the end though we stopped the failed updates and that was the overall goal. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

No, it would not disable the task if you remove the software.  It needs to be in current branch.

Highlighted

Checking in and deploying MsgBus Cert Updater 5.5.1 finally fixed this problem for me.  It's been broken since 5.0.  It only took 3 years.. Smiley Frustrated

For reference see McAfee KB90643 here: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90643