cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Agents stop responding to ePO

I've got a small LAN environment running ePO 5.3.1 and the McAfee Agent 5.5.1. Every morning, I issue a wake command to all systems and I can't wake the agents. The agents can initiate communications with the ePO, but not the other way around. We've just started troubleshooting, but have discovered that removing the systems from the domain and rejoining them followed by a reboot will re-establish the ePO control over the agents. Note that I can collect and send props with no issues. It is only the ePO Server initiating commands to the agents that is a problem. This was also an issue with the 5.0.x version of the Agent.

9 Replies
McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: Agents stop responding to ePO

What version of the agent specifically are you running?  There are issues with some versions where the agent process crashes, which sounds like what you are experiencing.  I would recommend instead to upgrade agents to the latest version 5.5.1. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

cdinet, are you referring to a service crashing on the server? Because I am having the same issue with the same version of client & server. But at no point does the client on the system crash, go down, or have any logged issues. The user did say he is using 5.5.1 for the agent. We upgraded our server to 5.3.1 (Build 188) and are having this issue with Linux clients both 5.06 and 5.5.1. They are not taking policy updates from the custom container/group (custom, inheritance disabled) they are in. This did not happen to all the workstations, but approximately 1/4. 

All was fine before the update.

We are limited to using what is provided, vetted, delivered by our security organization. All updates must have been through their vetting process and are then provided for us to download and apply.

First indication of problems was that updates would not deploy to clients, and the last policy checkin for the clients was before the upgrade. The quarter that were impacted, I removed from ePO, removed all trace of McAfee, and tried to redeploy. Nothing. I then deleted and recreated ALL of my Client tasks. Local install of agent 5.06. Success on deployment of VSEL, HIPs.

Then i put them in the custom policy group. Nothing. No customized policies would deploy. No check-in. No wakeup. I have just uninstalled on two of the impacted and reinstalled and NOT put them in the custom policy group and voila they are taking the default policies assigned to the My Organization container. I am about to try deleting and recreating ALL of my custom groups, not a good task to have to do, but it seems as though this may be a db issue at this point.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

There is a known issue about the agent not reporting VSEL installed, which prevents updates also.  That was supposed to be fixed in 5.0.6.550 and 5.5.1.  So if you are running 5.5.1 and still have issues, please open a ticket with McAfee so we can see what the issue is.  You would see failures in the macompatsvc log similar to these:

2017-12-18 10:00:08.880 (3900.3900) property.Debug: Generating property collection failure event for product LYNXSHLD1920 due to prop collect session timeout

or that it failed for other unknown reason.  If you see that with the 5.5.1 agent, try removing VSEL completely and reinstalling it.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

No issue at any time collecting props & sending, and epo server recognized that VSEL was installed. Also already did the complete removal/reinstall.

denn
Level 9
Message 6 of 10

Have you check the sitelist when issue occurs? I have Agent communication problem because site list was cleared Smiley Happy only what offered McAfee for me just reinstall Agent 5.0.5 or migrate to 5.0.6.

I have reinstalled 5.0.5 on 30k computers and after 2 weeks was cleared again. They said migrate to 5.0.6 to fix agent communication problem (but in release notes there is no info that this issue was resolved by 5.0.6 agent version) After migration into 5.0.6 after 1 month same issue came again and Agent sitelist was cleared on 30k endpoints Smiley Happy offer from McAfee side was reinstall because the latest version was 5.0.6.

Maybe you have the same problem. (Now it's working fine, but nobody knows them issue came back again)

Don't know how about 5.5.x version, maybe this issue was resolved. But no info in release notes about this.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

What do you mean specifically the sitelist was cleared?  If clients are getting a sitelist with just the epo server and no agent handlers, please open a ticket with McAfee.  Otherwise, check your agent handler assignment rules to see why the sitelist might change on some systems.

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Please open a ticket with McAfee so we can look at logs.  This will require further investigation for root cause.

Was my reply helpful?

denn
Level 9
Message 9 of 10

This issue was about 6-7 month ago. We have a case for mcafee but issue was resolved only after MA reinstall.

Cleared sitelist = Site list was empty, no AH only ePO was in list.

McAfee Employee cdinet
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

If that happens again, please open a ticket.  There is a defect open for that issue and we are still investigating root cause.  

Was my reply helpful?