Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
araczek
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

Agents deploy fine, having trouble deploying VirusScan 8.7

I have done this before but can't get it working now. Been a little while. Where do I start looking if the package won't go out? I see in a client log

that it strted and finished but no good.

I need a start to finish guide on what to check, what logs, etc.

TIA

10 Replies
hem
Level 15
Message 2 of 11

Re: Agents deploy fine, having trouble deploying VirusScan 8.7

I will suggest you to look into agent and VSE install log file, why its failing.

Thanks

Hem

apoling
Level 14
Message 3 of 11

Hello,

please look into these two files (up to Win XP) here: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\Db

Agent_computername.log and Agent_computername_backup.log to see if deployment tasks have started ok.

McScript.log and McScript_backup.log to see actual deployment task logging (if the failure is not with starting the task).

If you do not find enough info in them regarding the exact cause, try deeper by performing what's in KB58966 and repeat the deployment task.

If you have Windows 7 clients make sure you read KB67347.

Attila

araczek
Level 7
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the suggestion but I see nothing that really can help me. I have attached the client logs. Still says installation successful but my machine is still at VSE 8.7 P3, not P4. I verified the package is correct.

I even deleted the task as I created it from another one that was there, thus having a freshly created task. Still same result.

Let me know any more idea's you may have!

Thank you.

apoling
Level 14
Message 5 of 11

Excuse me, but have you been trying to install VSE w P4 repost over VSE with P3 ? That won't go. Installer won't overinstall products with another having same major version as far as I know. Please run an update task with single patch deployment for VirusScan.

I agree with Attila Polinger.

If you just want to install the patch, I would advise you to go to the System Tree > Client Tasks and create of modify a Product Update task within ePO.

Within the configuration of this task, you can enable Patches and service packs: VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0 .

araczek
Level 7
Message 7 of 11

Okay, yes, makes sense but wouldn't I need a discrete P4 only software package to check in? I will do some hunting but it's hard to find this as our group does not hold the support for this. Work for Government.

I am not sure that you cannot just use this package to run the patch upgrade from ePO.

But on the same page as you downloaded the ePO package, you can also go to the tab patches.

There you can download just the patch.

araczek
Level 7
Message 9 of 11

No, you did not read my message. I do not have a grant number or access, I get this from a Government site that downloads them. So I only have access to what

THEY download. Any of the sites I have access to does not have the P4 patch itself.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 11

With respect, that was not clear from your earlier post. This being the case, you'll need to request this from whoever provides your  packages. You're correct in that there is a separate Patch 4 package  that is used to upgrade existing installations to Patch 4 (as distinct  from the 8.7 + Patch 4 package that is used to do a clean install of 8.7  and P4 on machines that have no VSE) - it's this package that you  require.

If you can't get this then you can work round it in a slightly long-winded way by removing VSE from the relevant machines and then installing the VSE 8.7 + P4 package, but it's not something I'd really recommend except as a last resort, as it involves a lot more work, and leaves machines unprotected (albeit for a short time.)

HTH -

Joe