cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Agent install and wrong local ip address

Highlighted

Since your sitelist.xml file still shows the wrong IP for the server try rebuilding it. Now that you made a network change (disabling the NIC) restart the services so it rebuilds your sitelist.xml and sitestat file. Then export your sitelist.xml file on the server and check to see what IP is in it.

A related KB article:
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51529&actp=search&searchid=1239988825138

Still haven't figured this out, however, I have learned a couple new things.

1) There seems to be some sort of issue with Ipswitch iMail 10.02, which is the only "out of norm" application we run on this server.

2) If we install the older 3.6.0.453 client, communication works just fine. When we upgrade to the 4.0 agent, communication fails and the registry loses the hosts IP address and related info as soon as we run an update or a Collect and Send Props.

I have a new EPO v4 patch 5 deployment here with agent v4 on Windows XP systems and am running into the same issue of most clients, but not all, registering to the EPO server with 127.0.0.1 as their IP. The logs show the agent is able to get the right IP address but it's like it's using the wrong index when it enumerates the IP addresses on the system.

I opened a tech case with gold support, tier 1 was stumped and escalated to tier 2 after grabbing MER reports on my EPO box and a test client.

KD
mrpg
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 16 of 17

Re: RE: Agent install and wrong local ip address

I'm having the very problem.   All clients... all 7000+ are showing an incorrect ip of 127.0.0.1 (loopback) for the ePO server  / agent handler.  The hostname however is correct.

I did some digging and with the help of some logging we had in place to trace changes of the agent on clients.   We recently had an issue updating NIC drivers on our server, during which, the NIC (driver) was removed for a few minutes.   Leaving only the loopback interface (127.0.0.1) available to windows networking.   The NIC was restored and lan interface was brought up but I think the damage was already down and ePO services picked up the change and applied it to the sitelist.  I think this because after that exact date this problem occurred.

Even though the box was restarted it didn't seem to fill in the serversitelist but I just follow;

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51529&actp=search&searchid=1239988825138

to manually cycle services and that did it.

Message was edited by: mrpg on 4/29/10 1:53:23 PM GMT-05:00

Re: RE: Agent install and wrong local ip address

Workaround

Do the following to force a specific IP Address/Network Adapter entry:

NOTE: Adding ServerIPAddress= in server.ini, forces agents to use that entry to connect to the server. Otherwise, the first binding IP address is used. 

To specify an IP address in server.ini, do  the following:

1. Click Start, Run, type explorer and click OK.
  2. Navigate to: c:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\4.X\DB\
  3. Right-click server.ini and open it with Notepad.
  4. Type the following line at the bottom of the [Server] section: SERVERIPADDRESS=<IP_ADDRESS>

NOTE: The <IP_ADDRESS> entry will be the actual new IP Address of the ePO server.  (Example: SERVERIPADDRESS=123.45.6.78)

5. Click File, Save.
  6. Click Start, Run, type services.msc and click OK.
  7. Right-click the following service and click Restart:

• McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.x.x Server

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center